Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hex bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hex bolt?

Does anyone know if it would be an ok choice to use a grade eight hex bolt for my LCAs and uppers. any input would be awesome thanks.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97slowbra
Does anyone know if it would be an ok choice to use a grade eight hex bolt for my LCAs and uppers. any input would be awesome thanks.
Not only OK, but preferred. I'm assuming you mean use a Grade 8 as opposed to a Grade 5? Or perhaps as opposed to a Grade 10.9 (metric)? Yeah, it'll be fine.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Teching In

yes thats what i was asking. would the metric work ok too? and i didnt know about the hex bolt because it doesnt have a flange like the stock ones. should i just use a washer with them?
Old 12-17-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, I'd use whatever fits best. You can always drill out the mounting holes on the body. But, the LCA will have a set size. Find out exactly what size fits that hole. And, it's not always what the manufacturer says - as they sometimes machine in a little "tolerance". I've gotten brackets for shock mounts that came supplied with SAE bolts. But, the bolts rattled just a tad. I tried out some Metric sizes, and found one that fit more snugly.

For instance, a 1/2" diameter bolt is almost the same size as a 13mm bolt. However, there are 25.4mm in an inch. 25.4 x .5 = 12.7mm. So, you see that a 1/2" bolt is actually a hair smaller than the 13mm. Meaning, if you got something that used a 1/2" bolt, but the bolt was not a tight fit, you can substitute a 13mm to make it fit.

Also, figure out what is supposed to pivot. If the bushing pivots around the bolt, don't do this. But, as with a rod end, the bushing pivots inside a race, you can try it. Heat up the bushing in your oven (don't burn it by overheating anything rubber or poly). Stick the bolt in the coldest part of your freezer (or grab some dry ice from Wal-Mart). the bolt will shrink and the bushing will expand. Stick the bolt in the bushing. When they return to room temperature, the bolt will expand and the bushing will contract. The resulting bond is almost like them being welded together!