Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upper A-Arms for my application?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Upper A-Arms for my application?

I've done a little searching on this and talked with a few people, but haven't come up with anything concrete and I like to post and discuss, anyways, so here it is.

I have a mild h/c 2002 Z28. The car is totally streetable and used for drag racing on the street/track and cruising, no auto x or anything like that. I am, therefore, looking to shave some weight off the front end. I picked up some new BMR lower a-arms at a good price and am looking to buy a BMR k-member sometime soon so I can install this stuff. My question is this:

Taking into consideration how I use the car, is there any benefit to spending a few hundred dollars on upper a-arms? I have noticed that the BMR packages do NOT include upper a-arms and have heard that replacing the stock uppers with BMR uppers will actually gain weight over the stockers, not decrease it. I have also heard that aftermarket uppers should only be installed for auto x type applications, but I can't seem to confirm any of these statements.

Thoughts? Corrections? Opinions? Factual input? Thanks, guys.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm

package deal for both upper and lower arms AA003 $629.95

i have their upper, lower arms and k-member on my car.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

the UMI Performance upper & lower A-Arm set is supposed to save 8 lbs with mild steel, and 10 lbs with chrome moly.

theirs are meant for pretty much any type of application (drag, road race, auto-x, daily driven), according to the description of their A-Arms....i'm sure if you call or email them, or send them a PM on here, they'll be glad to answer any questions you have about them.

all of my suspension parts are UMI, and i love them....i wouldn't hesitate to put any UMI part on my car (as long as it was right for my application, obviously).
Old 12-20-2007, 08:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I've done a little searching on this and talked with a few people, but haven't come up with anything concrete and I like to post and discuss, anyways, so here it is.

I have a mild h/c 2002 Z28. The car is totally streetable and used for drag racing on the street/track and cruising, no auto x or anything like that. I am, therefore, looking to shave some weight off the front end. I picked up some new BMR lower a-arms at a good price and am looking to buy a BMR k-member sometime soon so I can install this stuff. My question is this:

Taking into consideration how I use the car, is there any benefit to spending a few hundred dollars on upper a-arms? I have noticed that the BMR packages do NOT include upper a-arms and have heard that replacing the stock uppers with BMR uppers will actually gain weight over the stockers, not decrease it. I have also heard that aftermarket uppers should only be installed for auto x type applications, but I can't seem to confirm any of these statements.

Thoughts? Corrections? Opinions? Factual input? Thanks, guys.
Most aftermarket upper a arms do not provide a significant weight loss. Our tubular upper a arms are however a much more ridgid design then the stamped steel factory unit which is why we offer them. If you are looking at a street/strip style application the factory uppers will work fine. If you have any other questions regarding our product line please feel free to ask.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 12-20-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info, guys.
Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
Most aftermarket upper a arms do not provide a significant weight loss. Our tubular upper a arms are however a much more ridgid design then the stamped steel factory unit which is why we offer them. If you are looking at a street/strip style application the factory uppers will work fine. If you have any other questions regarding our product line please feel free to ask.
So do your upper A-arms weigh more than the stock the stock ones? I know they are much stronger, but whether or not I buy them really comes down to weight. If they are the same weight or less, it may be worth buying them for the extra strength and rigidity; if they weigh more, it's not worth it for me. Thanks again for the info.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes they do weigh more and they are a waste of money for most people. I wouldn't worry about upper a-arms for you car.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Thanks for the info, guys.

So do your upper A-arms weigh more than the stock the stock ones? I know they are much stronger, but whether or not I buy them really comes down to weight. If they are the same weight or less, it may be worth buying them for the extra strength and rigidity; if they weigh more, it's not worth it for me. Thanks again for the info.
The stock upper a-arm without the ball joint and our upper a-arm without the ball joint are the EXACT same weight. Just let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302