Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein and Strano

Old 01-17-2008, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein and Strano

Looking at a set of Strano springs and Bilstein shocks...the F4-BE5-2406-M1 (2406) shocks. I was thinking the Lakewood 50/50's for the rear.

I don't know much about f-body suspension...but I have had great luck with the Bilstein shocks on the BMW's. I don't plan on road racing or auto-x'ing my car, but it does get beaten on at the dragstrip occasionally.

Thoughts? Will the Bilsteins and Strano's work together?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Not a good combination. Either way, the Lakewood rears would make it even worse.

Bilstein's as they are built are not intended for lowering springs, and never were. They are just less able to do the job now than they were 2 years ago. Drag shocks have too little compression to support the unsprung mass appropriately, and sometimes too much rebound damping for a relatively light car in the rear with a solid axle that doesn't like to overdamped.

My springs will work as well or badly as any other lowering spring set with that combination of shocks. This isn't a spring thing, or a shock thing, its the combination and springs and shocks are things that work together like wheels and tires, or heads and cams. They are not independent items that have no bearing on each other.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Not a good combination. Either way, the Lakewood rears would make it even worse.

Bilstein's as they are built are not intended for lowering springs, and never were. They are just less able to do the job now than they were 2 years ago. Drag shocks have too little compression to support the unsprung mass appropriately, and sometimes too much rebound damping for a relatively light car in the rear with a solid axle that doesn't like to overdamped.

My springs will work as well or badly as any other lowering spring set with that combination of shocks. This isn't a spring thing, or a shock thing, its the combination and springs and shocks are things that work together like wheels and tires, or heads and cams. They are not independent items that have no bearing on each other.
What kind of shocks are built or intended for lowering springs? Is there anything in the price range of Bilsteins that meet or exceed their performance?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1TechRulez
What kind of shocks are built or intended for lowering springs? Is there anything in the price range of Bilsteins that meet or exceed their performance?
Sam Strano
SCCA National Champion (x4)
SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x3)
Owner--Strano Performance Parts
814-849-3450
www.stranoparts.com

Give him a call. He'll give you the info you need.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Koni SAs are what you want
Old 01-18-2008, 11:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Koni's are what you want... At this point, I've been using more and more AGX's for those on really tight budgets. HOWEVER, those folks must understand that they are not my first choice, and if they don't love the ride and all that I warned them! But at this point with the Bilstein issues, the fact the Tokico's aren't really all that good at controlling higher rate springs, and the fact you can at least do some tweaking to the ride and handling the AGX's fit the price point best.

Koni's are still built better, backed with a better warranty process, ride better for a give amount of rebound damping and control. No they aren't cheap, most truly good cars parts are not.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Search this Thread