Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

drag shocks on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drag shocks on the street?

I know most people here prefer the HALS all around, but I just did the HALS up front and I got a pair of Comp Engineering 3-way adjustable rear shocks for the rear. When I bought them I thought they'd be fine on the street but there are warnings plastered on the box and the shock that say "Drag race only, not for street use." Am I going to screw these things up just casually driving around on the street? My car is pretty much a weekend warrior at this stage....
Old 07-06-2003, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: drag shocks on the street?

The damping characteristics of drag shocks can cause vehicles to become unstable in "sudden" maneuvers. Hence the warning. Most guys have no trouble, but they are not set up for the demands of "driving".
Old 07-07-2003, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Trackbird,

Thanks for the reply.... I figured it was something like that. I was just paranoid that if I ran over a big bump in the road one of them would explode or something.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

No luck....

But, if one does....send pictures....lol

Nah, just be careful.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 07-07-2003, 08:14 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Hey guys. I was all set on getting HALs until a guy I met said he hates his.

He said that they shoot up quick, which is good, but that they come down just as fast and he doesn't like them. He told me to look into Koni Doub;e Adjustab;es to set the up and down motions. What do you think? Will the Hals be fine?Or are Konis worth it.

Please keep in mind that he had an M6 and I'm A4. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

For drag racing, look at the Koni SPA 1 shocks. Those are Koni's drag shock. I think the valving on the Koni DA's will be too "tight" even on the lowest setting.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

P.S. Koni's are expensive...but you do get what you pay for....
Old 07-08-2003, 03:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jw ws6 whats the part# on that CE 3 way adj.shocks? might need a pair for dragracing on the 35th.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:31 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Here is my firsthand experience...

If you are drag racing a lot, then get the QA1's.(Hals). The CE rear drag shocks can only be adjusted in 3 positions, AND you have to take them off to adjust them.

BUT, use stock front springs do not use the QA1 springs otherwise the front of the car will be low and bottom out over big bumps. My buddy had the QA1 front springs and went back to stock and the car is like stock.

Let's look at another aspect of shocks. The QA1's are 12 position adjustable. Just get under the car and click away. Now stock shocks are 50/50. So on the street you can run your QA1's at 6 or 7 to feel like stock... You should feel the firmness of 8, pretty cool. Don't ever drive on the street for long periods of time with them at full loose you will eventually pop the seal on the fronts.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

thanks PSJ on some insights on shocks.decided to go for the CE drag shocks.will just set them before they go in.whats the good setting for drag on this?the car is mainly for drag racing action on occasion.not a daily driver.thanks
Old 07-08-2003, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks PSJ on some insights on shocks.decided to go for the CE drag shocks.will just set them before they go in.whats the good setting for drag on this?the car is mainly for drag racing action on occasion.not a daily driver.thanks
35th,

I ordered my CE rear drag shocks from Speed Inc. I haven't seen any other place that has them, I looked around. Just go to their website under the suspension components. It does suck that you do have to take them partially off to adjust them because the piston has to be compressed completely then you rotate the piston to change the setting.

There's 3 settings... 50/50 40/60 30/70 the first number indicates the percentage of force required to compress the shock compared to the force required to extend it. So that being said since I drive my car on the street a lot I set them to 50/50. That's the setting if the track is hooking perfectly the other 2 are softer which allow the rear of the car to squat more easily. I figure at the track I'll adjust my front HALS and see how I do... then if I need a little more front end lift I can take the rear wheels off, unbolt the bottoms of the shocks, push them up and twist them into the new adjustment position. Kind of a pain I guess, but they are cheaper than the HALS and the rears probably won't need to be adjusted as much as the fronts. I see the benefit of the HALS on the fronts (for drag racing) the most but thats just MO.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:58 AM
TECH Addict

thanks for the info.ordered them from jegs.hals a little pricey 140 each.figured would try this.thanks again jf ws6.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

wish i would've seen this sooner

cancel your order or send it back and buy some strange 10 adjustable shocks from billingsley. They are just like the QA1s minus 2 settings and according to chevyguy3 about the same in weight which he finds surprising since they have a steel body compared to the aluminum on the QA1

plus they are only $60 a piece

hope this helped
Old 07-10-2003, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the info. JimmyKash.will consider it.will try the CE 3way for now.now I know where to get them.thanks again

Quick Reply: drag shocks on the street?