Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how to install wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to install wheel studs

I ordered the ARp wheel studs and was wondering how you installed yours? did you pull the axle? just pound them out? thanks Adam lesser
Old 07-08-2003, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how to install wheel studs

Unless you have to replace your wheel studs, it is more trouble than its worth. I broke a wheel stud (changing tires in the rain after a AutoX event....) When I went to the store I piced up 20 studs, figured I'd replace all of em. After doing the broken one, no way I was going to do the rest since they didn't need it.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: how to install wheel studs

On the rear, I believe you can remove a sensor and expose a hole in which the stud will come out and go in.

To remove, a couple of good solid whacks with a big hammer will get them out. You are pounding against the a solid center pin inside the diff. If you are whacking hard enough to scar the end of the axle or dent the pin, you are hitting too hard.

To install, use a sacrificial lug nut. Use it on 5 or so studs, then pitch it.

Align the new stud inot the hole, put a couple of big washers over the stud so that any shoulder on the stud will come through and not bottom out on the lug nut and tighten away. An impact gun certain makes this a lot easier.

For the fronts, remove the hub and support the face in a vice. Don't pound against the bearing.

Quick Reply: how to install wheel studs