Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake job

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake job

hey guys i am going to be doing a brake job on my car pretty soon and just wanted to make sure i got what i needed...i am going to go with 4 new rotors (at least one of the currnet ones is warped and they all have been turned at least 2 times)...i was told that our cars have a front bearing assembly so all i would have to do is pull old rotor, grease new rotor and slide on? the guy at discount told me that the bearings were sealed and not like the old kind that came out????...so is that it? new pads of course....

would you guys list exactly what i need and also what is the best brake pads to get...i want pads that are LOW on dust (too much rim cleaning).....

thanks guys
Old 07-10-2003, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: brake job

Go here this will help you
http://www.installuniversity.com/

Good Luck
Old 07-10-2003, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last weekend I did brakes, rotors, and painted the calipers. The instructions on installuniversity.com were extremely helpful. As you can see from this site there is no old fashion wheel bearing setup to mess with. All four rotors just slide off after removing the calipers and caliper brackets.

I went with the factory pads as they do not squeel or dust much. They are expensive. The replacement set came with new spring clips and bolts for the calipers. Oddly enough the rear pad set only had two caliper bolts instead of four. I confirmed with another dealer this is how GM sells the rears. The fronts had four bolts. I also replaced the caliper bracket bolts. Don't know for sure how necessary this is but GM shop procedures recommend replacing all caliper bolts and caliper bracket bolts. The eight caliper bracket bolts were about 20 dollars. You will need a torque wrench for 23 and 74 ft lbs. And of course to torque the lugs at a progressive rate to 100 ft lbs.

The main thing is be careful with the car up in the air.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Make sure you use thread lock...I have a horror story about the time i didn't.........
Old 07-10-2003, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

The blue thread lock! make sure its blue

Quick Reply: brake job