Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drag suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag suspension

I've searched and searched, maybe i'm computer illiterate but i cant find any answered threads about the best drag suspension. I've got a 2002 camaro that is my daily driver and i'm one of those that like to build a drag car and put it on the street so i'm looking for the best suspension mods. I want the car to hook and to keep the rear straight because i plan on running a stock rear with ring and pinion. I only want the suspension because i was told without suspension work if i launch the car on drag radials i will blow the rear. so what do i need to do to keep my rear safe. Thanks guys, so far there hasn't been anything you couldn't help me with.

Last edited by chevrunner21; 02-09-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First is it stick or auto? The suspension is going to help hook, so i don't see that in favor of helping the rear end any.It will allow you to leave harder so its putting more stress on the rear end.The stock rear is very weak and always has the possibility of breaking, some have luck and run 10-11s and some break stock. I would do a rear first so you don't put $1000 into suspension, then break the rear and not be able to use the parts you just bought.

But if you want to do suspension this is what i am doing to my car. A complete set of qa1's front and back,the gen-f for auto or r-series if you have a stick (help keep the front end up during your shifts better).I am going with a 275 spring in the front and stock in back.I am getting UMI Tubular and adjustable lower control arms, Tubular and adj. pan hard bar, and a UMI Tunnel mounted Toque arm w/drive shaft loop.These will help you hook and bring your 60 ft down.

Hopes this helps you and answers some questions.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

knew i forgot something, the car is auto a4. I was told the rear suspension will help keep the rear from twisting which than stops wheel hop which is what normally blows rears. i'm not looking to do all. i read on here to stay away from coil overs on daily driver and to run a panhard bar, sub frame connectors, lower control arms, and a torque arm. down the road i want long tubes to a 3" ypipe so also which torque arm is good i read the spohn ones and one says stock exhaust and the other says lt's and y pipe so if im stock but planning to mod it which one do i chose? I've never messed with suspension and like i said, i was told that the stock rears are HORRIBLE and the only thing that can help is suspension. if the rear was strong enough than i would just slap some radials under it and go racing. UMI, BMR, SPOHN, are they all the same quality? which company should i look at? and i'm trying to stay away from the adjustable parts also.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the a4 you have a better chance of having the rear end stay together "longer".They all have the option for non-adjustable parts.The torque arms are different because were the exhaust is under the car,so you would have to go with the one with the stock exhaust if you keep it stock or wait and upgrade the exhaust at the same time you do suspension. You should call the different company's and see what they say, also check threads to see what people think about the different company's.