Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque Arm delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque Arm delete

What would be the right way to add rear upper control arms. I'd like to keep my lowers and stock shocks but delete the torque arm. I've seen the kits that add uppers that tie into the lowers but I don't want to do that, rather attach to the body / frame rail like an OE car with upper and lower control arms.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why do you want to do this? Torque arms are just as good as 4-links until you get going SUPER fast.

I've seen some cars on here done in a 4-link setup, but I thought it required a ****-load of fabrication and back-halfing and whatnot.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Well, ever since I installed my 383 M6 with a twin disk I have been having a bad time with my 12 bolt getting real loud after launching the car. After some searching I found this problem is not uncommon. It never did this with my heads and cam 350 and a single disk clutch. Some here suspect the 12 bolts mounting provisions stress the housing near the pinion. Thought I'd try something different.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by quicksilver383
Well, ever since I installed my 383 M6 with a twin disk I have been having a bad time with my 12 bolt getting real loud after launching the car. After some searching I found this problem is not uncommon. It never did this with my heads and cam 350 and a single disk clutch. Some here suspect the 12 bolts mounting provisions stress the housing near the pinion. Thought I'd try something different.
I have customer cars running well into the 8's on 12-bolts so I don't see there being a flaw in the 12-bolt torque arm mount design. It sounds more like a gear or posi problem.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 02-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Lee, I have found nothing 'broken' but my complaint still stands. This is a quiet street car by most accounts, I bet those 8 second cars are alot louder. I have questioned the installation of gear sets since this problem began but good patterns and relatively quiet operation upon install are evidence of a correct installation. As I stated, it did this to the Moser install after I had already beat on for several years. The difference is dramatic.
It's obviously a gear problem once there is noise, but how so? Also how could it be a posi problem?