Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

vibrating help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default vibrating help

alright well i have new shocks all the way around... they arent like high quality or anything, but i know they arent busted or anything like that... but it seems like when i am going on the highway and go over a small but steep hill that makes my car bounce a little that it makes a noise that sounds like something metal is shaking, but once i get over the hill and back on straight ground it sounds fine again
also, this sounds like an obvious dumbass problem, but i dont mean this to be stupid and need an answer like "dont hit large potholes", but sometimes when i hit uneven road or potholes that are somewhat small and wouldnt do anything at all to any other car, my car sounds like it bottoms out big time and it scares the **** out of me when it happens...
and these shocks def. arent blown because the same night i put these on and went out to test them they did it first thing, but they rode a whole lot smoother than the stock ones that were on the car with 140k! lol
Old 02-19-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anybody have any ideas at all on this?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, even if they are new shocks, it's possible they can't control the stock spring. What brand are they?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

did you re-check everything to make sure you didnt leave something loose? i assuming you just replaced the shocks only
Old 02-20-2008, 03:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah ive checked and double checked after putting them in... i think they are monroe brand or somethin like that... didnt really have the money to dish out for a nice set, so i figured these would hold me over till the summer...
and ya the springs are the stock ones as well
Old 02-20-2008, 05:17 AM
Staging Lane

if you are running wider than stock wheels, they may hit on the bump stops. Remove the rear wheels and check for any clearance issues/ evidence of rubbing inside the well. You can unbolt the bump stops and drive around to see if that fixes it, it should take care of your second issue, not necessarily the first. on my car i cut the bracket they bolt up to completely off and beat in the well in trouble areas and I don't have rubbing issues - my car is lowered 2" in the back and rear wheels switch between 18 x 10.5s and 17 x 11s
Old 02-20-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah but im only running 245 width tires so i doubt im really rubbing anywhere...