Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What do i need

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do i need

Hey I usually don't check out the suspension section of forums but seeing some autocross got me interested. What would i want for autocross? are there any pacages that anyone has seen that have some quality stuff in it? I really don't know what to get i want to be able to do autoX but i still want to be able to drive it an not worry about a speed bump(you need to now but ya know!)and stuff like that

I was looking at
*SLP weld in Subframe
*Roll Cage - maybe Pace(How many points?)
*BMR Sway bar
*Lowering springs - What would you need to do this? do you need different shocks? what is a good brand to go with? Eibach pro kit?

what does a _______ do?
Torque Arm
Conrol Arm
Panhard Bar

thanks for the responses and sharing your knowledge. Its all a learning experience.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: What do i need

Well go with either SFC's, (I recommend the one's I make) or a roll cage but not both.They do the same thing its where you put they that's different
STB & Tunnel Brace(I make those too).

Lower Control Arms with a spherical bearing on one end and a higher durometer rubber or poly on the other.

Panhard bar adjustable is the way to go here.

Lowering will help as well as sway bars Hollow 35 mm up front and 21mm rear. Eibach makes good springs
Shocks of course but that really is better answered by others.

Lower control arms keep the axle perpendicular to the drive shaft and are another attachment for the differential.
Torque arm tries to maintain the pinion angle of the gear housing of the differential.
Panhard bar centers the differential
Old 07-17-2003, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to decide in which class you want to compete. When you begin exchanging suspension parts, it puts you in a VERY competitive and very fast class.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good tires a lowering kit with adjustable shocks makes a big difference. I use the AGX(A something i forget the letters) KYB's external adjustables for the struts and the gas adjustables for the rears. I love them. Car handles so good that when i get back in my daily driver a 4 door saturn, i feel like im going to flip it. Just doesnt take the offramps at 55mph to good.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well go with either SFC's, (I recommend the one's I make) or a roll cage but not both.They do the same thing its where you put they that's different

Not exactly. I find that it is very hard to mount harnesses to subframe connectors and they offer little in the way of rollover protection. Also, F-bodies are quite flexible (and T-top cars are even worse). I find that it is hard to "over stiffen" a chassis.

F-bodies compete very well in the stock classes and it is a good place to learn before getting thrown to the wolves in the faster classes. I am currently running Street Mod due to suspension bushings (spherical bearings) and am running against Mitsubishi Galant VR4's (all wheel drive) with giant turbos on them (and other equally nasty things). So, I suggest running some events in the stock class, then look at the rules and go from there.

Just my thoughts.

Kevin
Old 07-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Well here is the thing. I don't think i'm going to seriously compete in autoX but i was thinking maybe just F around "amiture style!" Just like on the days some of the people i know rent out a course or Go to the drag strip... just fun stuff!

I guess Since my summer classes are done, my girlfreind moved to Texas (From Minnesota), and alot of my freinds are working when i have a day off I am looking for day/week projects and I've been told better have a strong base before you start messing with the engine. So suspension is both visually appealing and functional and reasonably priced overall . I have decent mechanical ability with some freinds that are major car guys so i was looking for project that I could do with or without a little help. Now do you have any suggestions for a start on the mods?
Old 07-18-2003, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I autocross on the setup in my sig. It is on the "aggressive" side, but I have fun with it. That may give you some ideas, ask questions from there.

Kevin