Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shocks Question

I have a 2000 Trans Am WS6 M6 and it was lowered when i bought it. The ride quality is so bad especially when i am on it and hit the slightest bump it is really bad. When vehicles are lowered do you need to get new shocks that are shorter?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

yes, you for sure need some new shocks if they are indeed the stock decarbons. the best on the market are going to be the koni's, and second best will be the revalved bilsteins. visit sam strano's website, stranoparts.com, he has all the products. he is a sponsor on here also, ask him any suspension question and he can help you out. hes a great guy with a wealth of knowledge and very personable. best of luck
Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Hey, i see your in lincoln, we'll have to run em sometime. Beatrice here..40 miles south of ya.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

decarbons are no good
Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

will these shocks work for the front or do they need to be a special shock that is shorter since its lowered?
http://www.autozone.com/R,APP803844/...ductDetail.htm
Old 03-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

and these are the same thing for the back
http://www.autozone.com/R,APP808938/...ductDetail.htm
Old 03-06-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Koni if you can swing'em are the best bet. Those Bilsteins are not valved for lowered springs. I think a lot of guys not forkin out for the Konis are going KYB AGX's since Sam Strano can no longer get Bilsteins revalved for lowered springs.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For starters what kind of springs do you have? If you don't know, look under the car and tell us what color they are, or see if you can see any company logos on them.
If they are sportlines, there really isn't any shocks that will help, because they are simply too low for their spring rate, making you ride the bump stops.
Next, those bilstiens might be an improvement, but we can't guarantee that you will like them seeing they are valved for stock springs, on top of that I doubt you'd even be able to get new ones because they are on nation-wide backorder. Do yourself a big favor and give Sam Strano a call at stranoparts.com, he'll set you strait.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

One thing that will probably help if you want to be super duper cheap is look at your bumpstops. Are they blunt/square shaped? Since you have a WS6 then they most likely are. Take out those and the spacer and replace them with stock z28 or formula triangle shaped bumpstops. They provide more cushioning and a lot of people have reported better ride quality.

Though you might have some form of Eibach springs which I'd never put on my car. Especially sportlines, those ride like crap.

I would also stay away from those cheap Autozone replacement shocks. I like Autozone for a lot of things, but not for shocks.