Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes Dragging. Big Problem. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Brakes Dragging. Big Problem. Need help.

Three days ago I put on new pads and rotors and later noticed that the driver's side front was heating up WAY too much. Figured it was a caliper or slide pin, but bought both instead. Today I took off the caliper and took out the top slide pin. Afterwards, I tried to take out the next slide pin and, guess what, it was bone-dry. Heated it up with MAPP gas and knocked on a socket and finally took the pin out after 10 minutes. Cleaned off the braket, installed the caliper, pins, pads, and brake hose and bled the brakes. Took it off the lift and went for a drive... ****! It sounds and feels like the pads and rotors are metal to metal, but they aren't. With the foot off the brakes, you can clearly hear the pads slowly grinding against the rotor... My question to you is (if you've been following along the entire time), WHY!?!?!

Any help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rushin; 03-14-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how bad were your brakes to begin with?...if you ran them down to no pad you could have hung up a caliper
Old 03-14-2008, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

The brakes before weren't bad. The pads that came out still had half tread left. Unfortunately, the owner before me thought that turning the rotor more than once or twice was OK, so they had grooves in them. Eventually, the rotors warped and made my pedal pulsate, which I cured with new pads and rotors. Now I have this problem...