Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Booster Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Booster Question

I'm going to be changing out my Brake Booster tonight. Anyone have any warnings or suggestions on doing it?

Will I have to remove the master cylinder connection to the ABS unit, or is there enough slack so I won't have to disconnect the lines?

Thanks,
John
Old 07-25-2003, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Brake Booster Question

I've replaced mine ... it is a royal PITA ...

There is enough room to just shuffle the MC over. But you will probably need to take the ABS module loose as well. No need to breech any of the lines or bleed the brakes.

The nuts that hold the booster to the firewall are under the dash. I took out my front seat to be able to get in there ... of course I'm rather robust in stature ...

Using a butterfly air ratchet certainly made things easier. I used several extension to be able just to get at the nuts and have room to work.

At a minimum you'll have to remove the coil packs in order to swing the canister out ... maybe even a valve cover. My valve cover was already off when I did it, so I'm not sure.

Having a helper is almost a must to hold it in place while you get a nut started ...

Good luck

BTW ... why does yours need replacing?
Old 07-25-2003, 07:46 PM
Teching In

I'm replacing mine, b/c I'm having a really nonconsistant pedal. I was noticing that I had it when I had the stock calipers on the car. When I upgraded to the Z06 calipers, I never could get it to be consistant at all. So I'm changing the booster. I did notice that I get great braking when headed in a downhill angle, but that's about it.

Old 07-25-2003, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Well I figured I'd get started on it tonight, instead of waiting until in the AM. That thing is a b!tch to get out. I scraped my fingers to hell. But it didn't take long to get the other one in. I almost had to take the valve cover off, but I unfastened the plastic cowel instead.

Once finished, DAMN. My car stops like a mad man.

BTW now my throttle has about 1/2 inch of slack in it, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
John

Quick Reply: Brake Booster Question