Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BP1 Brake kit installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BP1 Brake kit installed! *update with performance and a question*

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/889313-finally-got-my-bp1-kit-pics.html

that's a link to the thread where I got all the parts, finally got the time to install it tonight.

Other than hating doing any sort of brake work what-so-ever this was actually really easy to do. No more "complex" than a stock brake swap.

The parts all fit perfectly, and it is a HUGE step up as far as appearance goes from the stock stuff.

Here are some pics... sorry almost all of them are blurry because the girl using my camera didn't know how to turn the flash on until late. I'll be posting pictures of all four corners tomorrow during the day.

FWIW it's a huge pain in the *** trying to jack a car up without a lo-pro jack with a pro-kit. Wow what a pain in the ***.

I didn't get a good picture of the front rotors but oh my god they were TERRIBLE. The rotors had HUGE grooves in them (not the worst I've ever seen, but bad enough to know why my car has had braking issues) and the pads were about 80% worn up front, about 15% off from where the shop that diag'd my brakes told me they were at. The pads had grooves in them as well, looked like the face of a record but the lines were straight. Sucks. Oh well those are in the trash now

The rear brakes were worn the worst. Obviously all original stuff back there. The rotors didn't LOOK terrible but the pads were all but gone. Opened the bleeders and pushed the piston back in, then swapped everything over. The bolts that hold the bracket on were HARD to get off, and I broke a socket in the process. Will be MUCH easier next time but goddamn they have them on tight from the factory.

and just for grins a pic of my exhaust

Really nothing major to report yet. No noises no vibrations no pulling so all seems to be well and I'm just assuming I did the install right since I've done this once or twice before lol. All the zinc coating is gone from the contact points which was expected and it came off a LOT cleaner than I anticipated.

I'll get some good pics through the wheels tomorrow and post up how it stops when they're "broken in" and I do a fluid flush.

I was going to clean everything up and paint the calipers but I figure that's a job for another day (and my camera-woman was bitching about spending her saturday night watching me work on my car haha).

Last edited by Oso SS; 04-03-2008 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Did you clean and lube the slide pins? I had to deal with a frozen one a few weeks ago. I will check them from time to time from now on. I have heard that is a common problem.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i made sure to lube all the contact points
Old 03-31-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

NICE. great looking exhaust btw!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks! I dig the exhaust too. Sounds ******* fabulous and you can't see **** so I don't have any huge gay tips sticking out the back.

Update- No dust yet, the brakes are totally broken in...

and HOLY **** this thing stops now.

But my Low-trac light comes on when I go from 40-0 and it's right when it's coming to a stop. Maybe my tires don't have enough grip? They're nitto 555's
Old 04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

The Low Trac light will come on anytime the ABS is engaged. Nothing to worry about, just telling you that the ABS is @ work. Good brakes will overpower any tire @ very slow speeds. While stickier tires might delay the ABS engagement a touch and stop the car a little sooner (after all what really stops the car in the end is the tire's grip), don't change because you are getting ABS engagement because you always will @ low speeds if you pound the pedal.

Anyway, glad you like how it stops.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-03-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured. Definitely digging the braking power over stock. Now I'm just curious to see how well they stand up to the mountain curves around here

Going to be passing your stuff on to anyone who asks me to recommend brakes to them
Old 04-03-2008, 03:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I appreicate it. Thank you!!!!

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned Village Idiot

looks good and i love those tips!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I appreicate it. Thank you!!!!
Thank you, Sam!

LS1BLKSS, tip*
Old 04-03-2008, 09:20 PM