Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Weird issue while installing springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird issue while installing springs

First off, the Strano springs rock. Secondly, the tophat of one of the front struts had "fused" itself to the strut shaft. Not quite sure how it happened, but the rubber had melted to the strut and it would not come off. For future reference if anyone else runs into the issue, you can get it off by letting the force of the springs push it off for you. Back off the nut that holds everything together but leave it hanging on by a few threads, that way when everything pops apart it doesn't go flying off and damage/kill anything. I left my strut in the garage for about 2 hours and the pressure of the spring seperated all but a bit of the rubber. A razor blade took care of the rest and everything popped apart. Don't remove any of the rubber that stayed on the strut shaft as you will need it to be there when you reinstall the tophat and keep everything snug with no play.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you didn't use a spring compressor when you removed the springs? Wow, I'm surprised you're still talking to us. That's super dangerous.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Segselah
So you didn't use a spring compressor when you removed the springs? Wow, I'm surprised you're still talking to us. That's super dangerous.
I had spring compressors, but when the top hat doesn't come off and you have to use the power of the spring to remove it, you don't have much choice. That's why I said leave the nut on so when it comes loose it doesn't fly off anywhere.