Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SFC and convertibles???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SFC and convertibles???

From what I have read here and there about convertibles and SFC's..Well it is my understanding that they already come with built in or some sort of SFC's on them...but that there is room for improvement on the factory ones......therefore leading me to get some aftermarket SFC's specifically for convertibles of course....Question is would the people who install them would they have to cut the factory ones off or do the aftermarket ones bolt/weld right on over the SFC's the car already has???...Should I trust anybody who has installed regular SFC's on non convertibles cars or should I be picky.......???Can anybody enlighten me on this??? ..TIA!
Old 08-03-2003, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: SFC and convertibles???

Yes the verts do come with additional strengthening from the factory. Aftermarket SFCs just weld or bolt on without removing any of the factory application. Any shop that has installed regular SFCs will have no problem with yours. Just a few suggesions. Have the car on a drive-on lift so the chassis is loaded. If you choose weld ons, have the welder move around to different sections so the heat does not build up too much in one spot. Once the welds have cooled put some POR-15 or Extend rust inhibitor on the welds. There are pics of the KBDD weld on convertible SFCs on my site. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2003, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a set welded in my 02 T/A convert.It made a huge difference.I don't regret the investment.It's a must.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

KBDD on mine... only 1 regret: Not putting them earlier
Old 08-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

From what I have read here and there about convertibles and SFC's..Well it is my understanding that they already come with built in or some sort of SFC's on them...but that there is room for improvement on the factory ones......therefore leading me to get some aftermarket SFC's specifically for convertibles of course....Question is would the people who install them would they have to cut the factory ones off or do the aftermarket ones bolt/weld right on over the SFC's the car already has???...Should I trust anybody who has installed regular SFC's on non convertibles cars or should I be picky.......???Can anybody enlighten me on this??? ..TIA!
The factory put the steel that normally would be in the roof in the floor. There is a little more that goes into a floor pan than a roof but you get the idea.
So it is rigid but I would hardly call them factory SFC's.

Convertibles will over time "fold up" making the doors hard to close. So SFC's will prevent this from occuring.

If your welding yes get someone who can weld.
If your bolting on do you trust yourself? Because you can install a set of the SFC's I make if you can turn a wrench.

Those who have my Convertible Bolt-ons are happy with the results. I encourage you to ask them on this and other forums relating to the F-Body Cars.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

I have a few bolt on sets in red and black if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: SFC and convertibles???