Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lightweight sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default lightweight sway bars?

i was wondering if any company makes lighter weight sway bars? i honestly do not care too much about handling. i do drag race some but its not like i need anything too strong because i only run nitto 555r's. i was just looking to save a few pounds.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

what about factory V6 bars even? i wasn't sure if these were lighter or if they even fit properly?
Old 05-24-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are concerned about weight, I would start somewhere else, like removing as much of the interior as possible, removing the A/C, removing emissions equipment, installing a fiberglass hood etc...
Old 05-24-2008, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree you don't want to skimp on suspension parts........start with the interior
Old 05-24-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talk to sam strano his sway bars are lighter than stock
Old 05-24-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GMmexican
Talk to sam strano his sway bars are lighter than stock
I thought they were lighter than solid bars, I never saw him ever comment that they were lighter than oem bars
Old 05-24-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

if i remember correctly, his rear bar is ~4lbs lighter than stock and his front is ~2lbs heavier. i think i will just keep the stock bars. i was just thinking about getting new lighter bars since i need new endlinks and sway bar bushings. i think i will keep the stock ones and get new bushings.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cals400ex
if i remember correctly, his rear bar is ~4lbs lighter than stock and his front is ~2lbs heavier. i think i will just keep the stock bars. i was just thinking about getting new lighter bars since i need new endlinks and sway bar bushings. i think i will keep the stock ones and get new bushings.
I am not sure where you are getting these numbers, but which stock bars are you comparing them to? Furthermore I do not see how his could be that much lighter considering both bars are hollow and Sam's would be larger.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was wondering if any company makes lighter weight sway bars? i honestly do not care too much about handling. i do drag race some but its not like i need anything too strong because i only run nitto 555r's. i was just looking to save a few pounds.
Look into the Spohn sway bars..put a set on mine and they handle great
Old 05-24-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is the link on sams rear sway bar:

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=0&ModelID=7

it doesn't say the weight comparison of the front bar on his site. i believe i remember him saying his front is approximately 2 lbs heavier than a stock z28 bar....i think anyways.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

here is the link on sams rear sway bar:

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=0&ModelID=7

it doesn't say the weight comparison of the front bar on his site. i believe i remember him saying his front is approximately 2 lbs heavier than a stock z28 bar....i think anyways.

right here, he says his are heavier
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...+weight+strano

good luck
Old 05-25-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

The stock front bar is hollow, the stock rear bar is solid. Hence the reason why Strano's larger hollow bar in front is slighly heavier and his hollow rear is slighly lighter than the stock set.

For a drag only set-up run a small factory front bar (V6 car) and as large a rear bar as you can find. For a drag car the increase in weight of the heavy rear bar is not nearly as big a problem as the benefit of increased rear anti-roll. When you launch a drag car the driveshaft twists against the axle and lifts the right rear tire while forceing the left down. Running as large as possible rear bar reduces this force so you get more traction from a dig. A 24 mm 3rd Gen rear bar will bolt in for cheap. The smaller front bar allows for adequate control but with better load transfer to the rear at launch than a big front bar, hollow or not. Installing slightly longer end-links in front really frees up the travel. Don't pinch the bars to tight in the bushings, any excess friction will bind your suspension and perform poorly. Use washers under the front brackets if needed with oversized poly bushings and just get the end links snug.

Sounds like you should take a trip to a salvage yard or Ebay.

Vernon

Quick Reply: lightweight sway bars?