Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

a little help please....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a little help please....

i am in the process if installing the 1le suspension on my car... i rented the spring compressors from autozone, and the clamps that go between the coils of the spring were too think to fit... how in the hell do i get the assembly apart with out takeing it to the dealer to take apart and reinstall the top boot with the new spring and koni DA???
Old 08-12-2003, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: a little help please....

I generally have the shop do my fronts, but does this link help at all? http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6
Old 08-12-2003, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

i looked over that link to see how to get them out... the spring compressors are the same as what was pictured... for some reason no matter what i tried it wouldnt work... i dont know if i needed to loosen the top nut up a little(and risk the spring exploding)or what...
Old 08-12-2003, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont know if i needed to loosen the top nut up a little(and risk the spring exploding)or what...

DO NOT loosen that nut!!!! That can be very unhealthy for all parties involved. Automotive springs can store enough energy to kill a person (or two).

In some cases, you can start the spring compressor somewhere in the spring where it will fit and then "screw" it into place (wind it down the spring), then drop the top part into the spring and compress it. In some cases, I've seen a need to spread a couple coils enough to get the compressor in between them (I usually use a large pry bar to "gently" open the spring and slide the compressor in place). If you are still having trouble, find a shop that will do the work...it is not worth getting hurt over.

Just my thoughts....

Kevin
Old 08-13-2003, 04:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

DO NOT loosen that nut!!!! That can be very unhealthy for all parties involved. Automotive springs can store enough energy to kill a person (or two).

In some cases, you can start the spring compressor somewhere in the spring where it will fit and then "screw" it into place (wind it down the spring), then drop the top part into the spring and compress it. In some cases, I've seen a need to spread a couple coils enough to get the compressor in between them (I usually use a large pry bar to "gently" open the spring and slide the compressor in place). If you are still having trouble, find a shop that will do the work...it is not worth getting hurt over.

Just my thoughts....

Kevin
Thats what i did.I used the same compressor from Auto Zone.
I just used any sort of pry bar to get a big enough opening between the coil to get the compressor in there.I didn't need much more room.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

good news is that i have the new springs on the koni DA's, and i didnt hurt or maim myself... got a spring compressor from pepboys, but when i took the spring off the old strut and had it at the end of the rod travel, there was still compression in the spring... so back to auto zone to get there compressor... basically i had to use 2 spring compressors to get the springs off and on... a pain in the *** but im glad that i did it and not some shop... feels better knowing that you did all the work yourself...
Old 08-13-2003, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations, glad you got it done (and are in one piece). The Koni's are worth it....

Quick Reply: a little help please....