Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

strange leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 03:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default strange leak

while changing my oil filter...i took a look at the metal rod that connects my steering system to the tire....on the driver's side...when you turn the steering wheel...the metal rod moves and makes the tire turn left or right.
attached to this rod is a black, rubber accordion looking thing. it had brown/golden fluid dripping from it.

first, does this accordion thing have fluid?
second, could the fluid be from somewhere else?

appreciate any replies ...this problem really has me worried/frustrated. (used z28, '98, 41,8XX miles, no engine mods, flowmaster exhaust, stb, sfc)
Old 08-13-2003, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: strange leak

The metal rod is a tie rod. The rubber boot is a dust seal where the tie rod moves through the steering rack.

That fluid appears to be power steering fluid.

While you didn't specify, I will assume it's the left side boot because it's on the drain plug and oil filter side.

First, look for the simple stuff ... Have you recently added fluid and possibly over filled the reservoir?

If the fluid is on BOTH boots (passenger and driver's side) you might have a steering rack seal gone bad. Have you curbed the car or taken a shot in the wheel?

If it's not a steering rack seal, it could be one of the PS lines coming from the PS pump to the rack and back to the PS pump.

Best way to check is to get a few cans of brake cleaner and spray the whole area down to clean it. Clean it really good. Then monitor closely over the next few days to see where the leak coems from.

Another place it might be is coming from behind the PS pulley. The pump seal is back there and will fail if you do some sustained high RPM jaunts regularly, like on a road course.

Good luck ....
Old 08-15-2003, 02:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: strange leak

thank you for the reply... yes, it is only on the left side of the car. someone also posted that it could be power steering fluid. many months ago i did lose almost all my fluid but gm could never find any leaks. i am taking it back and hope the leak doesn't vanish before then. it seems to be intermittent. when changing oil before i've never noticed any leaks whatsoever. thanks again ... when gm checked it they filled the reservoir a few months ago, but there's never been any leaks until now.

Quick Reply: strange leak