Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

moving car without torque arm?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default moving car without torque arm?

im swapping motors so ill have the trans out too. is it ok to push the car around without the torque arm mounted?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Yeah it's okay to do, nothing will get damaged. Unless your pushing can create 300 or so ft lbs of torque.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

depends if im drinking lite or regular. i always have more torque with regular, go fiqure!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

^^^LOL I guess you need to watch what you drink prior to moving your car.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

I'm about to do the same.. and no sway bar either.. it should be.. fun.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing to keep in mind, when the TQ arm is out of the car....The rear springs are behind the centerline of the rear axle. There is the possibility that their force on the axle housing could rotate the axle somewhat, causing A) the springs to fall out. This, in turn, will cause, B) the body to drop directly on to the rear axle. That could cause, C) damage to brake lines, exhaust system, and/or fuel tank.

BE CAREFULL!!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

First hand experience ....I wouldn't recommend moving it at all !!! Don't ask
Old 06-17-2008, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
One thing to keep in mind, when the TQ arm is out of the car....The rear springs are behind the centerline of the rear axle. There is the possibility that their force on the axle housing could rotate the axle somewhat, causing A) the springs to fall out. This, in turn, will cause, B) the body to drop directly on to the rear axle. That could cause, C) damage to brake lines, exhaust system, and/or fuel tank.

BE CAREFULL!!
That would be an extreme case to actually happen. But you're right, he should still be careful when moving the car around.

With the weight of a car on the springs combined with the lca's.....the axle housing isn't going to rotate much. Just to remove the rear springs takes some forcing of the rearend down away from the body far enough.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

BE CAREFULL!!
That sounds fun. I may just put the torque arm on since my new one is relocated to the transmission mount.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ntimid8r
That would be an extreme case to actually happen. But you're right, he should still be careful when moving the car around.

With the weight of a car on the springs combined with the lca's.....the axle housing isn't going to rotate much. Just to remove the rear springs takes some forcing of the rearend down away from the body far enough.

OK, let me take this a step further.... You're rolling the car a little, especially critical if you're rolling it backward, and one of the wheels "stumbles" on a screwdriver or wrench, or a rut in the garage floor. The car has a little momentum, the wheel won't rotate.......but there's always the possibility that the axle will! You know what happens next, and it probably won't be pretty.

Just be cautious is all I'm saying.

Quick Reply: moving car without torque arm?