Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help bleeding brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 10:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need help bleeding brakes

ran into some issues while doing my line lock...basically i figured while i ahd the wheels off id go ahead and change out the rotors and pads...seemed simple enough well whoever did the last brake job stripped out the inerds on the drivers side caliper bracket so i needed to get a new one of those...and the pass side caliper was in need of at least a rebuild...anywayz while trying to put the new pads on the pass side the caliper just wasnt sliding over the pads...we bottomed out the piston all fine and good but just didnt wanna go over the new pads and rotor...we finally ended up just taking one of the two old pads and putting that in temporarily figuring it would at least get me home...well anywayz we bled the brakes but the pedal feel is still very mushy...i bled from all corners. Do you think its from the one pad or do i need to bleed them again? Also how do i bleed from the abs block? I'd never had to do that before...I also dont have traction control. Anywayz my new caliper should be in on wed along with the bracket...guide me on what the culprit is at this point and if i should bleed from the abs unit itself.

Thanks
Bill
Old 08-19-2003, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Need help bleeding brakes

Humor me as I don't know how much experience you have.

whoever did the last brake job stripped out the inerds on the drivers side caliper bracket so i needed to get a new one of those

A guide pin goes into the bracket and the caliper bolts into the guide pin. The pin slides in and out of the abutment bracket and will rotate when you turn the caliper bolt.

Not sure if a new bracket was necessary or even if it comes with new guide pins. At the very least, all you really need is a guide pin.

the pass side the caliper just wasnt sliding over the pads...we bottomed out the piston

There should be PLENTY of room if the pistons are bottomed out.

You had the caliper slid all the way onto the guide pins? Where and what was the caliper/piston hitting? Were the guide pins moving in and out?

bled the brakes but the pedal feel is still very mushy

"mushy" pedal is typically fluid related. You either have air in the system or the fluid is bad or you have a breech in the system somewhere.

Any fluid leaks?

There is no bleeding at the ABS block. As I understand, LT1 equipped F-Bodys had a bleeder screw at the ABS module. But the LS1 equipped cars don't. All you can do is cycle the valving with a Tech 2 and bleed the whole system.

Looking at all 3 problems ... stripped guide pin, unable to fit caliper and mushy feel ... I would take a hard look at the guide pins.

Just guessing, but based upon your description of issues, I tend to think you have 3 stuck guide pins and one that turned freely, making you think it was stripped. Just speculating ...

I twisted the head off of a caliper bolt once. So the bolt is weaker than the threads.

I submitted a write on ow to R&R brakes at www.installuniversity.com Double check your methodology ...
Old 08-19-2003, 04:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You were absolutely right about everything...a day late and a dollar short however as i had already ordered the part oh well gm just made a few extra bucks off a part i didnt need. Its just as you said though 3 of them were locked in place so when the 4th one spun in place my friend and I just assumed it was "broken" so i went to order a new one yesterday...of course at around midnight i saw your caliper write up and knew i fu**ed up oh well. I still have to put on the new caliper and bleed the brakes again tomorrow hopefully that will do the trick and i can end this saga.

lata
Bill
Old 08-19-2003, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Simple enough mistake to make ...

And GM is really good about returning parts.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

not special orders
Old 08-20-2003, 07:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

ouch!
Old 08-20-2003, 07:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Tonight I went to finish up the job and of course figured out my problems...three of the 4 guide pins were seized up completely...got 1 of the three out and got that one working right so one side has a whole new assembly with no guide pins since they are a special order and the other side is put back together completely...man i tried everything to get those pins out but they were just frozen in there so its actually a good thing i ordered that frame, but now i need the guide pins lol oh well I'll at least have a brand new brake system up front when its all said and done...just goes to show STS blows cuz they did all of the work previous to me taking the car over from the owner...wouldve been nice if they used some high temp grease lol. Anywayz what a fun night.

lata
Bill

Quick Reply: Need help bleeding brakes