Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do QA1 shocks need to break in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003 | 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Default Do QA1 shocks need to break in?

I got my rear QA1 shocks in today, so I threw em in the car. I have read that the #6 setting is supposed to be the same as stock, and I wanted a little stiffer (I'm lowered) so I set them to the #8 setting.

Well, the car feels like i have solid bars in place. I cant push it down or pull it up at all.

Is this normal for the #8 settings, or is something wrong? I could definely tell that the shock got harder as I increased the setting when it was out of the car. so it seems to be working. I dont see it binding anywhere. not too concerned, but thought I would ask to be safe.

also, can anyone confirm if the #6 settign is infact equal to stock? that would explain a lot if it wasnt. i figured that it would be just a tad stiffer at #8. I havent had a chance to play with it yet, because I have to go to work in a bit. should I start out at say #4 instead?

thanks
Troy
Old 08-22-2003 | 10:40 PM
Teching In

Default Re: Do QA1 shocks need to break in?

The shocks don't need to be broke in. I just put a set on my car as well. I'm running 6 up front and 4 in the back. I drive the car to work daily 70 miles round trip. At 6 the shocks seem stiffer then stock. 4 seems to be close to the stock shock. BTW my stock shocks are SS/1LE shocks. I drive on mainly smooth roads and really like the 6 on front and 4 in back. This weekend tho I'll be playing with them to see if I can improve on it any. I'd say adjust them till you find a happy setting for you. My self don't mind a little stiffer ride. Also keep in mind that I have hiem-joints on all my controls arms front and back, so my suspect ion is very smooth flowing and does not have any binding like the factory bushings had.
Old 08-23-2003 | 06:42 AM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Do QA1 shocks need to break in?

thanks, i dont mind a stiffer ride, I just wanted to make sure that this was normal. I wasnt expecting such a jump in stiffness at that particular setting. I plan on playing with them this weekend to find a god setting for me (actualy 8 isnt all that bad)