Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake chatter...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake chatter...

I installed iRotors and Hawk HPS pads on all four corners the other day and now my brake pedal wont go in more than 1/2" and 9 times out of 10 it is really choppy. It doesn't pull the wheel at all, I just wheel the pedal vibrating and being really clunky. Anyone know how to fix this or what might be wrong? Thanks for the help.

Brandon.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Brake chatter...

Slotted rotors will cause some buzzing type vibration (think of a card in the spokes of your bike as a kid...come on...we all did it) and it will vary with speed.

However, I think you are causing the ABS to cycle. That will cause the pedal to pulsate and those pads have more bite than the stockers did. I'm just guessing here, but I'd say it is the ABS.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:39 AM
Staging Lane

I figured it was something like that. I just had a new rear put in a need to add spacers to the abs sensors. Whats throwing me off is that it is dependent on when I hit the brake pedal, sometimes it's cheppy, sometimes it's not. Any dieas on what to use as spacers for the sensors? Thanks for the input.

Brandon.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Spacers for the sensors? THey are integrated into the wheel bearing pack (as far as I know). I don't think you want to start adjusting clearances on them.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

The guy that built my rear said that is what fixes the "LOW TRAC" and "ABS INOP" lights. I guess the brakes may be related to those being set off.

Brandon
Old 08-26-2003, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, When my ABS light is on (like after some autocross runs) the pedal pulses constantly. YOu may need to look into that....
Old 08-28-2003, 05:16 AM
On The Tree

If your ABS is constantly engaging, then the ABS system thinks one or more wheels is locked up, i.e., no rotation. There are only three ABS sensors on our cars, unless you have the traction control system. All cars have an ABS sensor in each front wheel hub, non-traction control cars have one rear ABS sensor that is mounted in the rearend, traction control cars have a sensor for each rear wheel.
The only thing I could think of regarding the need for a spacer would be if the pinion was in a different position, because the non-tcs rear ABS sensor is watching the pinion for rotation. If the guy who installed your rearend knows what the problem is, I'd say he should fix it.
Also, about the HPS pads, be careful with them. I may have a bad set or something, but I have had nothing but problems with them. I have made several sliding stops now, including almost running up a curb into a gas station the other day, because these pads like to override the ABS at low speed. At the same time, they hardly slow the car at high speed. So, you can go from barely slowing down, to having the brakes locked up, in a matter of seconds.

Quick Reply: Brake chatter...