Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Power Steering pump making noise & foaming?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering pump making noise & foaming?!

Hey Everyone.

Im working on finishing my LS1 swap into my iroc-z.

Ive got hte LS1 PS pump in my iroc & its causing me problems

Its setup using a 4th gen feed line & a thirdgen return line.

When i start the engine, its fine, after a few seconds it starts whining & making noise. My dad claims it sounds as if its trying super hard, but it cant pump properly, this is the 2nd pump i put on there because the one i bought first had the noise, figured it was a bad pump, put a new one on, same deal.
Im also noticing that after it idles for 10 - 15s, i take the PS cap off and its all foamy and foams out, it also seems to be under a bit of pressure.

Ive got 1 bottle of Lucas PS Stop leak cause i was told it would be a good lubricant for it, and otherwise its just regular PS fluid.

What can be going on here? Its a Re-circulating ball setup, i know this is suppost to work as lots of guys on TGO are using this setup.

Im stumped! Help!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like there might be air in the lines. I would try steering the wheels back and forth many times. You can hold it in either direction at the stop for a few seconds also. Try that and see if it helps.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I put three pumps on (well the factory one then two more)....nothing. Changed the cooler...nothing. Flushed the system...nothing. The whole time I was consulting with Jeff at Turn One and he kept telling me there is an obstruction on the high pressure side. After the first pump I took the high pressure line off and blew through it and it seemed fine, so I of course knew more than the expert did and started changing stuff. So finally after changing every piece I figured it had to be in the rack (Jeff didnt think so...but agreed that could be all thats left.) So I ordered a new rack...but while it was on order I said wtf and bought a new high pressure line for $25 and put it on. BAM that solved the problem. The best we could figure was that line was fine cold but as it got hot the rubber inside contracted....causing the pump to work harder....in turn causing more heat....in turn making the line clog more....and you get the point. At any rate I can't swear thats the problem on yours but mine was doing the exact same thing and thats what fixed it.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

I heard the classic angry LS1 pump whine and replaced mine twice, and then realized that the pumps were failing because of leaking fluids, and then overheating, foaming the fluid. So of course I checked the boot on the rack, and thats what was leaking. When I get tired of refilling fluid all the time, I'll just replace the whole system with actual quality parts from Turn One (pump, pulley, 15.1 gear), and have fun.

Change your high pressure line, but check everything for leaks. Even the stuff thats hard to get too. You'd be surprised how many silly things fail on these cars.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bandit98
When I get tired of refilling fluid all the time, I'll just replace the whole system with actual quality parts from Turn One (pump, pulley, 15.1 gear), and have fun.
I've used TO for years and have a TO pump on my race car.

But we found a company that builds saginaw pumps for off-road racing and rock crawlers with custom valving.

For road racing, where RPM stays between 4000-6000 for 30 minutes at a time, we have come up with lower flow and less line pressure in order to reduce heat. It will mean more steering wheel effort when idling around the paddock or parking lot, but it also will give you more feedback at speed. And once you are churning 2000 rpms, the difference will not be noticeable.

I have a LT1 and an LS1 version in stock that uses all the factory lines and hook ups. This can easily be done for $150 exchange.

The LS1 pump I believe is spoken for and the LT1 pump was going on a customer's car.

Hope to have some real world data soon.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:24 PM

Default 2010 camaro ss power steering foamy and making noise

Hello, I have a 2010 Camaro SS and it is making a loud sound from the power steering tank, and foaming. What woukd you recommend?
Old 11-10-2020, 02:28 PM

Default 2010 camaro ss power steering foamy and making noise

Originally Posted by SheldonZ28
Hey Everyone.

Im working on finishing my LS1 swap into my iroc-z.

Ive got hte LS1 PS pump in my iroc & its causing me problems

Its setup using a 4th gen feed line & a thirdgen return line.

When i start the engine, its fine, after a few seconds it starts whining & making noise. My dad claims it sounds as if its trying super hard, but it cant pump properly, this is the 2nd pump i put on there because the one i bought first had the noise, figured it was a bad pump, put a new one on, same deal.
Im also noticing that after it idles for 10 - 15s, i take the PS cap off and its all foamy and foams out, it also seems to be under a bit of pressure.

Ive got 1 bottle of Lucas PS Stop leak cause i was told it would be a good lubricant for it, and otherwise its just regular PS fluid.

What can be going on here? Its a Re-circulating ball setup, i know this is suppost to work as lots of guys on TGO are using this setup.

Im stumped! Help!
I am having the same issue......DID YOU FIND OUT WHAT IS HAPPENING. ????? PLEASE REPLY

Quick Reply: Power Steering pump making noise & foaming?!