Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spring Question

I was thinking of lowering my car and was wondering if just throwing the springs on there would be a bad idea. I have a 00 WS6. Has anyone put lowering springs on without new shocks? If so, have you had any problems at all? I'm just wondering if I should wait a bit until i get the money for everything or if just springs would be ok for a while. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would wait.... I put a set of the Eibach ProKit springs on my '96 Z-28 about 6-8 weeks after I bought the car (brand new). I kept the OE shocks because after all, they were BRAND NEW, so how could they be bad??

The car rode like a lumber wagon, but so what, it's a "performance car", they all ride that way, right??

Several years later, I figured that the shocks had reached a time when they should be replaced. I put on a set of shocks that were valved for lowering springs, maybe not EXACTLY set for my Eibachs, but nonetheless more closely calibrated that the OE DeCarbons were. It was like night and day...the car both rode and handled so much better.

Wait till the budget can afford it, and do both at the same time...PLUS, you'll only have to do the labor once.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Taprxxt
I was thinking of lowering my car and was wondering if just throwing the springs on there would be a bad idea. I have a 00 WS6. Has anyone put lowering springs on without new shocks? If so, have you had any problems at all? I'm just wondering if I should wait a bit until i get the money for everything or if just springs would be ok for a while. Thanks a lot.
Are you just going for the look or what?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I was thinking about just waiting and I didn't really consider paying for labor twice. I guess it would make more sense. I was just going for the looks for now (Probably a year or two) and after that I was going to buy the other parts. I just wanted to make sure it would still be driveable if I only had springs for about a year. Thanks for the replys.