Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Broken Strut Mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken Strut Mount

This was a NAPA replacement I bought about 1.5 years ago when I put the Bilsteins on. Now I'm putting BMR springs on and when I took the strut off yesterday this is what I found. The shock came out by itself, then the spring, mount and upper arm fell out separately. They were only a year and a half old wtf? Has this happened to anybody else?
Attached Thumbnails Broken Strut Mount-sspx0120.jpg   Broken Strut Mount-sspx0121.jpg   Broken Strut Mount-sspx0122.jpg   Broken Strut Mount-sspx0123.jpg  
Old 08-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it just rusted through...it seems pretty common that water can get in there and just sit and rust it out.

I've read that some folks put some grease on there or some gasket sealer around the mount when putting it back on to help keep water out. Might be worth a try when putting it back together.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VinJo87
Looks like it just rusted through...it seems pretty common that water can get in there and just sit and rust it out.

I've read that some folks put some grease on there or some gasket sealer around the mount when putting it back on to help keep water out. Might be worth a try when putting it back together.
I agree!

Quick Reply: Broken Strut Mount