Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hal QA1 switch to Bilstein?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hal QA1 switch to Bilstein?

I've currently got Hal QA1 shocks on my Z28 along with BMR springs. Right now there is just way too much bounce, especially coming from the rear. The car continues to sway up and down after hitting a bump, especially low frequency ones. (dips in the road...) I'm not sure if there is a problem with one of the rear shocks, or if its just because there is less weight on the rear tires. I was thinking about getting some Bilstein Heavy Duty Shocks to replace the QA1's. Has anyone tried either of these combinations that could give he some advice on what the best solution is? The car is a daily driver, but I'd much rather have a stiff ride than a soft and squishy one. Granted, the car does handle fairly well at speed and under hard acceleration, but I can't help but feel it could be even better. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

Matt
Old 08-31-2003, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Hal QA1 switch to Bilstein?

The Hal QA1 shocks are 12 level adjustable. If they are too mushy, you just have set them alittle stiffer to see if it feels better. There is no way they can be mushy if they are adjusted to max stiffness unless you have thrown alot of extra weight in the car.

If you still have a problem, call HAL up and talk to them as your shocks might have a problem and need to be replaced.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hals are horrible for street driving. I tried nearly every combination. I finally switched to SLP Bilsteins and SLP Eibachs, night and day difference. No more bouncy ****. Great ride now!
Old 08-31-2003, 06:47 PM
Teching In

I just installed the hals with eibach springs in the rear. I started with 5 in front and 7 in the rear and the rear rode like a truck.I put the rears at 5 and it rides just the way I want it.I had the stock decarbons before this and the difference is 100%.I had Bilsteins on my 94 z and no way where they better than Hals.Maybe you do have a fudged shock?
Old 09-01-2003, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

well, "horrible for street driving" and "better" are relative terms that cant be quantified if we are talking about ride quality/comfort. what sucks to one guy may be the shiznit to another.

that said, have you tried ALL The settings? I have QA1's in the rear only, and I am still playing wth them. I also noticed the "bouncy" ride when they are set high. it seems more like a to stiff suspension than bad shocks, yet it goes away when I drop the setting. try pushing down on the fender and pulling up on hte wheel well. if it wont move try going down on the setting. keep going till you get either an acceptable ride or you get to the lowest seting.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Well, I think I've narrowed down the problem somewhat. I think its actually coming from the right-front shock. The **** has always been difficult to turn, and has a sort of grinding, sandy feel to is when you do. I also just recently noticed that the right-front tire is wearing significantly more than the others. And just yesterday I started getting a low pitched rattle from the wheel well area that sounds almost like metal flexing or rubbing. Haven't had a chance to pinpoint it exactly yet, gonna need someone to help rock the car while I look... Oddly enough, it seems like adjusting the **** still has an effect on the stiffness of the shock, but I just don't think its working properly. For now I'm keeing the car off the road as much as possible. Anyone else ever experience anything similar to this?

Matt
Old 09-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Teching In

my HAL's feel just like what you describe, but i get kind of a squishy sound from the front drivers side shock when i go over bumps. i have mine set at 8 front and 7 rear. the car handles great and really hooks at the track, but really has a problem with dips in the road at highway speeds and feels harsh at low speeds. i have had mine on for just over a year and i am still trying to get it right

Quick Reply: Hal QA1 switch to Bilstein?