Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shock question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock question

The last piece i need to upgrade on my suspension is my shocks. Right now ive got strano springs with adj phr, lca's, t/a, and subframe connectors. Konis arnt in the budget so im either looking at KYB AGX or the SLP Bilstiens. Which of these shocks will be better for a daily driver and last longer.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What does Sam recommend? They are his springs......

Let me rephrase that, what's his SECOND choice, we know what he recommends.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just save up the extra 250-300 dollars and get the Koni with LIFETIME warranty. The kyb's are void if used with lowering springs and if the cheaper one just happens to break for whatever reason and you have to buy another set you would already be more than the price of THE BEST shock.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

I was in the same boat your in. Looking for a shock but probably tired of hearing the Koni's. I just ordered a set of SLP Bilstein shocks from Stranoparts. They are said to do well in performance, and several members on here said the ride quality is amazing. I got them for $425 or around there I think. I'd rather get these for my lowering spring setup than the $800 koni's.. too much for shocks for me.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
I'd rather get these for my lowering spring setup than the $800 koni's.. too much for shocks for me.
Koni prices are going above 800.00 very shortly.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

SLP Bilsteins are valved for the Eibach springs that were sold with the SLP kit (which are different from the Pro Kit). They were not intended for any other lowering springs, just as Bilstein HDs weren't intended for lowering springs. Many people run them anyway, they just wear out faster and don't do as well at damping the spring oscillations as Konis.

I ran KYB GasAJust shocks for a while with my Hotchkis springs. Hated them. Felt like I was driving the SS Minnow. I decided I wanted to buy shocks just one more time, and do it right, so I bought Konis. I have zero regrets about that decision.

However, I understand why you can't/don't want to afford Konis. If I were in your position, I'd call Sam and get his thoughts on KYB AGXs. He'll try to sell you Konis, not because he makes some huge profit off of them (judging by his prices compared to other places that sell them, he doesn't), but because he feels they're the best shock for the money. He'll likely ask you what you paid for your other mods and put that in context. He'll ask you about your goals for the car and drill you about WHY you made certain mod choices. In the end, you'll end up second-guessing yourself and likely your entire approach to suspension mods. But, he also gets that it's YOUR money, and if YOU choose to go with a "lesser" shock, he'll sell them to you. He just wants you to know WHY he feels so strongly about Konis and makes sure you understand the decision you're making and how it fits in with your goals.

I know this, because that's what he did to me. The difference is, I went in after already being burned on crappy shocks, so I was ready to spend my money more wisely.

Oh, and those KYB GasAJusts? I threw them away when my wife and I moved earlier this year.

-Mike
Old 08-18-2008, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Well good news. Im going with the single adj Konis. Navy per diem checks are the best. Now for the next question and Sam might be able to answer it when i call and order the shocks but which is better for a daily driver setup, the 4/4 or the 4/3, and what exactly are the differances.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bucksbadz
Well good news. Im going with the single adj Konis. Navy per diem checks are the best. Now for the next question and Sam might be able to answer it when i call and order the shocks but which is better for a daily driver setup, the 4/4 or the 4/3, and what exactly are the differances.
From what I understand the 4/4 setup is on car adj. The 4/3 setup is front on car adj and rear off car adj. If you dont plan on changing the settings and just driving it I would opt for the 4/3 ..which is what im going with for my dd.