Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

KYB GR-2 shocks and struts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default KYB GR-2 shocks and struts?

Anyone run these or know anything about them? I found a great deal on them online, and I've been looking to get some bargain priced shocks for a while.

No, handling is not a priority, the car is a DD, and in fact there aren't even any suitable roads where I can really push the handling anyway. I mainly want the car to ride better than my lifted Jeep, which it currently does not.

I don't want Koni's, so please don't suggest them....I don't need them, nor can I afford them anyway.

So for a car that gets driven easily, almost babied in fact, that doesn't see any track time, are the GR2's a decent shock for the money ($170, set of 4).

Also, it's stock height, with no plans of lowering.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2008, 03:37 AM
roy
TECH Resident

For a bargain price and no expectations other than minimal damping then these should be what you want
Old 09-21-2008, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

My car is daily driven with an occasional trip to the track. I'm perfectly satisfied with them. Smooth ride, somewhat firm, and definitely better than the factory DeCarbons. They're exactly what I was expecting for the price.

There is some hardware that has to be transferred over from the stockers or replaced to make them work right, though. Nothing major, just a few bucks worth of hardware. PM me if you're going to install these and I'll explain in detail. I had to take mine on and off a couple times before I got them right.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
My car is daily driven with an occasional trip to the track. I'm perfectly satisfied with them. Smooth ride, somewhat firm, and definitely better than the factory DeCarbons. They're exactly what I was expecting for the price.

There is some hardware that has to be transferred over from the stockers or replaced to make them work right, though. Nothing major, just a few bucks worth of hardware. PM me if you're going to install these and I'll explain in detail. I had to take mine on and off a couple times before I got them right.
\

Thanks for the info!

About the ride... One thing that really annoys me is how hard the rear hits most bumps. Seems like alot of the times the rear feels like it skips out to the side when I hit certain bumps, especially going around a corner. Even in a straight line, the ride is best described as "jarring". We have a lot of frost heaves in the road here, which basically are like small speedbumps that run directly across the road. My car HATES these.

In situations like this, did the KYB's cure that at all? Does the rear fell more planted?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

The rear definitely feels more planted and the car handles bumps and cracks in the road MUCH better. Our roads were trashed over the past winter so I know what you mean. From what you described, these shocks should suit you just fine. For the $180 I spent, I'm totally satisfied. The car rides 100% better.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll give them a shot. If I don't like them, at least I'm not out a lot of money, since all four of these cost less than ONE Koni!
Old 09-22-2008, 03:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll give them a shot. If I don't like them, at least I'm not out a lot of money, since all four of these cost less than ONE Koni!
Yes, and Koni's are NOT for everyone, however there is NOTHING comparible for those who could use Koni's to their advantage.

Really, I think that the GR-2 or any other ones will more than suffice for replacement of the crummy DeCrapon shocks, if one is just trying to simply replace and not intending upgrading.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, they're a great stock replacement. I wouldn't take them to Road America or anything, but for street driving, they're perfect. Just remember to either swap over the dust boot and metal spacer from the DeCarbons or buy a replacement. I couldn't get anything off the factory shocks so I just bought new sleeve spacers. I can explain in detail when you do the swap. Just PM me.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know the Koni's are great, I believe the legions of LS1Tech'ers that swear by them, but I don't think they exactly suit my needs right now.

In the future when I decide to do suspension upgrades I'm sure I'll be looking into them, but right now the goal is mainly to just keep the car running correctly on a very limited budget.

If I can find something a little better than stock that won't break the bank, I'm happy with that.

Mr.Brett, thanks alot for the info and the tip about the hardware, I'll be PM'ing you shortly.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
About the ride... One thing that really annoys me is how hard the rear hits most bumps. Seems like alot of the times the rear feels like it skips out to the side when I hit certain bumps, especially going around a corner. Even in a straight line, the ride is best described as "jarring".
Subframe connectors stopped the skipping and the jarring and the shutter and the ....

This is with my 95 Z, stock DeCarbons and ~82K. I still want to upgrade shocks because there is too much lean from the rear on the highway, but SFC literal freaked me out by how much they improve the entire car at every speed.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Just bought a set for all of the reasons these guys ^^^are talking about. Thanks guys.

Kyle

Quick Reply: KYB GR-2 shocks and struts?