Headers in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers in Texas

Forgive my ignorance....

If i get headers on my car will it pass emissions? I want to do everything so my SES light isnt on all the time and i pass emissions if possible.

Also I just got new AC Delco 02 sensors in the front, and brand new cats installed by the dealer. Again if i get headers, a) will the cats i have be ok to use with them or do you NEED high flow cats? b) My car already has a y-pipe do i need a new one for the headers or is it the same? c) will i need a y collector?

I plan on going with hooker headers and keeping my loudmouth. And plan on getting the rear 02s tuned out.

Let me know what i missed, what i should or shouldnt do, or any other suggestions. Thanks
Old 10-10-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cats/Hi Flow Cats and Headers w/AIR fittings mandatory. I would leave the rear O2 sensors in just for "visual effect".
Old 10-10-2008, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

There are F-bodies with long tube headers and y-pipes all over the state that are emissions legal.

If you currently have the factory exhaust manifolds and a y-pipe made for shorty headers, then you will need a new y-pipe if you buy Hooker long tube headers. And you might be able to reuse your cats, but if they are 2&1/2" cats and your Hooker exhaust is 3" you will want to get 3" cats.

When you get your new exhaust have someone delete the SES light when they do your rear O2s.

Why did you have the dealer put new cats in it? They charge a ton of money for average work. I think you could probably get some high flow after market cats installed by a knowledgeable exhaust shop for less money.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got them put in for free by the dealer. There was a recall on them i think it was good for up to 125K miles in case anyone wants new free cats. I guess if i do get new cats i can sell the ones on my car, they have less than 1000 miles on them.

What about the y-collector? I saw that on the ws6store, do i need that?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as you dont throw and SES codes and the car isnt obnoxiously loud, you will pass with no problem unless you go to a **** inspector.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been running LT's ORY for almost 3 yrs now.....i get mine inspected at a small town north of houston.. passed everysingle yr. ofcourse its just visual inspection. but i still get the inspection sticker.

Quick Reply: Headers in Texas