how much to build engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008 | 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default how much to build engine?

ive been tossing around the idea of buying a ls1 bare block and having a stock shortblock made. how much do you all think this will cost with parts and labor? cam and heads i can install myself. i just need a estimate of pistons, rods, cam bearings, crank, etc installed. thanks
Old 10-21-2008 | 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Are you buying everything new or used? If its new just look up the price on any of the sponsor links or jegs, summit and etc.

If its used, use the classifieds on here and Craigslist or Ebay.

Sometimes you just have to do the leg work man.
Old 10-22-2008 | 03:56 AM
Launching!

There are too many variables to that question. It all depends on what you want. Price difference between a stock crank and a good forged crank is pretty big as with all the other componets of an engine. It also depends on who you get to put it all together. You get what you pay for with engine builders, some are cheep and others will build it right. If you are on a budget for an engine build your best bet would probably be to buy a short block from one of the sponsors that is already put together.
Old 10-22-2008 | 04:05 AM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

Man, for the price, you can save using good used parts, it can be worth it. I still have not built a LSx due to price. It is so cheap to build a SBC so i stick with them for now, not to mention i would need other parts i dont have to make it work, like trans and exhaust components. If it is what you have it is a good reason to use it.
Old 10-22-2008 | 05:40 AM
TECH Resident

If you bought used parts and they were actually all good you could probably have a short block built for $1500. Thats if you have to buy every thing used including a block, rods, crank, pistons. Find a pull out 6.0 that is a 2002 or newer in a junk yard with low miles and buy that.