The Freak is alive!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008 | 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Default The Freak is alive!!!!!!

The Freak came alive last nite. it sounded heavenly lol. I had a exhaust leak between heads and headers before i still have the same problem. the 1st time i stripped the threads out of the heads and so i pulled it off and installed helicoils. now everything is together and i still have the same problem. i tried to torque all the bolts to 18 ft/lbs. the only ones i didn't do was the the front and bolts bolts cuz i couldn't get the torque wrench in there. but other than that i have no oil or water leaks. i hoping to get it tuned and driving but i'm not goin to able to. i leave to korea early tomorrow morning So i'm happy cuz i got it started but sad cuz of the leak. Anyone have suggestion what it could be? i changed the gasket 3x. Could it be the headers? it seemed fine
Old 11-05-2008 | 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

get a straight edge and criss-cross from each point and see if you can see any major light between the straight edge and the surface of the headers' flange. maybe warped.
Old 11-05-2008 | 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

that's what i was thinking. luckily its on the right side only. it's easy to pull on and off.
Old 11-05-2008 | 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

did any part of the gasket have some black streaks where it would show exhaust had been passing through?
Old 11-05-2008 | 01:44 PM
Teching In

What kind of gaskets are you using. I bought copper ones with my set up and it didnt match up with the D port heads which prevented a good seal. Also, do your headers match your heads? I bought some Mr. Gasket ultra seals and was good to go.
Old 11-06-2008 | 06:07 AM
TECH Resident

i saw the black streaks on the heads. i made sure to clean the heads to see if it continued to leak. i had the metal gasket from what it came with. it was a lil bent so i used the graphite gasket and it was still leaking. then now the other day when i put everything back i used a fel-pro gasket. i'm not sure on the material. it was metal but in a way still soft.