Bust a scammer

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bust a scammer

I was looking around on craigslist and found this car, he didnt have the mileage listed so I emailed him and this is what i received back.

Hello,
If you are interested in my 2004 Toyota Corolla S, I must mention that it is in perfect condition, has no scratches, dings, special marks whatsoever. It has 22,349 miles and the VIN # is :2T1BR32E84C257007. It has a clear title ready to be signed and notarized on your name. I have the pictures hosted on the net and you can see them at :

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=2077037

The car is located in Perth Amboy, NJ. The price is $2,499 and there are no other costs regarding this transaction. I am selling the car because I am in the army and my unit will be deployed to Afghanistan next month. I will buy a new one when I'll be back home so this car needs to go. The transaction will be closed only through a 3rd party because this way we will both be protected. My time is limited due to my job in the army so I decided to use a service from PayByCash which will serve as our 3rd escrow party in this transaction. To begin the transaction I'll need your full name and shipping address, I will forward the details of our transaction to PayByCash and then you will receive an invoice from them. The car will be shipped insured to your location with DAS and you will have 5 days for inspection, I will pay for shipping.

Thank you, Ronald Barnds Ronaldbarnds@axaemail.net

Pisses me off when people try to pull this stuff. Just a reminder to stay on your toes about stuff like this, I know what if feels like to be ripped off.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Was the price listed in the ad? If so, why even bother?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a guy at work was telling me about something like this. he asked me how they could say they would ship the car w/ title then wait for you to pay. i guess that you send the money to their BS paypal type company and then the car never shows.

just reply back w/:
I have recently inherited a large sum of money but have not cashed the money order. I will send you the money order in the sum of $15000 and you cash it and keep 3000 and the price of your car. then ship me the car along with the rest of the money in the glove box.

lol.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

Yeah, I get a lot of E-mails from scammers when I post something up for sale on Craigslist. They all use the same technique, and people are finally catching on.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DAS does not offer any participation in escrow. They only ship cars. And they only ship cars one way.

My wife used to work for DAS and would get people calling her all the time because the scammers would tell them DAS has the car, DAS is holding it in a warehouse, DAS blah blah blah. DAS does none of that stuff.

Although I wouldn't ship a car with them due to their crappy handling of the cars and even crappier customer service, I will say that they are honest.