Guitar guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009 | 01:10 PM
Teching In

Default Guitar guys

so i picked up a Epiphone SG G-400 the other day and im wanting to learn to play (i used to play bass) but i cant seem to get my wrist to stay straight so i can arch my fingers to the fret board like your supposed to instead of being off angled and wrong.

can you guys tell me how to fix this or if there is something that can help train my arm/wrist/fingers to do the right things? its driving me nuts and it makes me wanna quit lmao

here are some pics of my guitar

Old 04-14-2009 | 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, you should have bought an acoustic and learned on that. If you can play it on an acoustic you can rip it on an electric.
Old 04-14-2009 | 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

start masterbating with your left hand
Old 04-14-2009 | 01:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blue's_Z28
Honestly, you should have bought an acoustic and learned on that. If you can play it on an acoustic you can rip it on an electric.
got one i hate them

i can play a song already but i just gotta get my fingers trained
Old 04-14-2009 | 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should hate it. But that's the point; don't take the easy way out. I broke down and bought an acoustic 12 years ago and it made a world of difference in my playing.

If you want to take the easy way out, that's up to you. But don't ask for advice if you're not willing to listen...

Nice Epiphone, BTW, I have a Gibson SG Faded almost exactly like that.
Old 04-14-2009 | 01:37 PM
Teching In

You should hate it. But that's the point; don't take the easy way out. I broke down and bought an acoustic 12 years ago and it made a world of difference in my playing.

If you want to take the easy way out, that's up to you. But don't ask for advice if you're not willing to listen...

Nice Epiphone, BTW, I have a Gibson SG Faded almost exactly like that.
my brother just bought a Gibson SG Special Faded with moon inlays a week after i got mine (mine is still at guitar center awaiting police release) i been learning on my brothers Stratocaster

i want an Epiphone Les Paul maybe one day i will get it lol (im sticking with Epiphone i kinda like them more i guess i know they are Gibsons cheaper brand but still lol)
Old 04-14-2009 | 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If he got the moon inlays then he got a first-edition as they only made those the first year of production...when I got mine.
Old 04-14-2009 | 01:42 PM
Teching In

If he got the moon inlays then he got a first-edition as they only made those the first year of production...when I got mine.
yea his is an 02 model he specifically wanted the moon inlays my cousin had one about 4 years ago but broke the neck on it and had it fixed then sold it and since then my brother was determined to get that exact guitar

worn cherry gibson sg special faded with moon inlays
Old 04-14-2009 | 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

I started about a year ago, and progressed fairly well to where I am now. I had the same problem as you, but it was just a matter of I'd never picked up a guitar before. What I started doing to get my wrist pointing straight up, is basically visualize wrapping my arm around the neck of guitar, so I could fully extend each finger. Now I really don't notice it anymore, but I'm sure that's because of practice. Don't give it up man. And great guitar. I've got a Schecter Synyster Custom myself. Will try to post some pics later.
Old 04-14-2009 | 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wasnt joking about my comment either... start using your left hand for other things, and it wiilll make a world of difference!!! i just say masterbate cuz at least oyu get something outa it!
Old 04-14-2009 | 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

I have never had an acoustic. I've always wanted one, just end up buying an electric that I want. That's why I have 5 now and still want 2 more. Like 02ws666 said, do different things with your left had and you'll get it. It takes a while but you'll get it doing what you want.
Old 04-15-2009 | 12:39 AM
Teching In

i will try to start doin things with my left hand but what can i do? whack it in my tool shed left handed and act like im playing my guitar? lol
Old 04-15-2009 | 02:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't listen to this guy. He doesn't know what he is talking about.

Actually... an acoustic is probably the best way to get started. Plus it gives you a basic understanding of guitar.

If you haven't already bought an amp, go with a tube amp from the get go. Crate (believe it or not) makes some great sounding tube amps these days for pretty cheap. (V series)

I have played for 13 years but I have gotten bored with it. I played in a band for several years, and went on tour, and the whole shibang.

I remember when I started playing as a young lad, the way I forced my retarded hand to play was quite simple. Just go 1234 up and down the fret board all the way down the neck forcing your hand/wrist to be in the right position. Do this for 5 to 10 minutes every time before you play. Its a good way to train your hand, and also to warm up.

Watch out though... You start wasting money on equipment just like a car.
Old 04-15-2009 | 03:16 AM
11 Second Club

nice, if you want to upgrade later keep an eye out for the epiphone elite or elitist series SG...handmade in japan with gibson pickups and american electronics for a cleaner sound and better woods to boot

out of production though so they're hard to come by
Old 04-15-2009 | 10:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Don't listen to this guy. He doesn't know what he is talking about.

Actually... an acoustic is probably the best way to get started. Plus it gives you a basic understanding of guitar.

If you haven't already bought an amp, go with a tube amp from the get go. Crate (believe it or not) makes some great sounding tube amps these days for pretty cheap. (V series)

I have played for 13 years but I have gotten bored with it. I played in a band for several years, and went on tour, and the whole shibang.

I remember when I started playing as a young lad, the way I forced my retarded hand to play was quite simple. Just go 1234 up and down the fret board all the way down the neck forcing your hand/wrist to be in the right position. Do this for 5 to 10 minutes every time before you play. Its a good way to train your hand, and also to warm up.

Watch out though... You start wasting money on equipment just like a car.
What he said but i would try turning the amp up and do hammer ons (don't pick the string) just fret it with your left hand for 5 to 10 minutes before you start playing and it would also help to take some lessons that will give you a big boost to start out with. Your teacher could give you some tabs and chord progressions that can help develop your left hand along with getting your right hand technique down.

I have been playing for 20 years off and on and the reason for that is this car I usually wind up selling my rig and getting car parts then i'll pick it back up later on. I can tell you this much if you have small hands the epiphone and gibson line is a little harder to shread with the thicker neck but very fine guitars. I play Jackson and ESP to me there is no better guitar to shred with even got a steve vai to autograph one of my guitars and then i sold it for a set of heads I think im going to regret that down the road!
Old 04-15-2009 | 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

to get the arch in your hand you could hold a book by the binding and that will get your hand into the right posture. that stick looks like fun though , you should learn on an acoustic as well.
Old 04-15-2009 | 08:50 PM
On The Tree

One of the best things you can do to train your fingers is practice the chromatic scale up and down the fret board (I think someone mentioned that earlier). And practice with a metronome gradually getting faster. Start slow enough that you don't make mistakes or your muscle memory will learn the mistakes. The chromatic scale is also a good way to build up accuracy with your pinky finger, which is always hard to use when first starting out.