Question to all cops plz help anyone just help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question to all cops plz help anyone just help

I just got stop around an hour ago, an my car got towed away. the reason being that supposely the cop couldnt confirm that my car had insurance. he said he called the # on the insurance card an that it didnt existed. the only things is that there is no one in the insurance office at 10 pm so thats why no one answer his call, then he goes on to tell me that i showed him false documentation an that i could go to jail, that its a felony to do so. so i told him that i had gotten stop about 2 weeks ago an showed the same insurance card, an that the cop that had stop me had said nothing about it. well all that this cop said was that "doesnt matter im not him". then he goes on to search my car with out consulting me first, an comes back an tells me " i found mariguana ashes on the cup holder" i tell him no, i dont smoke its just trash. then he says " its ok just admitted ill just give you a ticket, an the amount of the ticket will just depend on how much you have. an if you do have some you will go to jail." at this moment im just thinking all he wants is to give me tickets an is making up stuff. so i tell him to go ahead an search the car that i dont have anything. so he goes on tells me "are you sure you know i can take you to jail if you have mariguana" i just said yes i know.
so he searches the car an finds nothing. thats when he gets mad cuz he cant find anything against me, just that dumbass excuse that he couldnt confirm my insurance. so he decides to say " well that i couldnt confirm that your car has insurance ima have to tow it. so they tow my car away. the thing that im thinking is that he was trying to meet end of month quota an just trying to give me a ticket for anything an everything. i just want to ask if that is legal to do, to take someones car just cuz he couldnt talk to anyone about it? my insurance is set for 6 months but yet he didnt care. is there anything i can do about this? he had nothing on me so decided to tow my car. an im leavin out so much other stuff that he did an was saying but i just dont have the time to post them right now. what do you guys think about all this? was he just out to give tickets no matter what? plzzzz just help me out, i know its kind of hard to understand my grammer an stuff, but plz just help.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did he ask you to get out of the car?

What part of the insurance card seemed fake to him?

Sounds to me like he was just looking for reasons to be a dick to you. My advice would be to talk to a lawyer first.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your insurance IS current, everything will be dropped. You might still get stiffed for the towing and storage fees but the court might have it covered seeing how he searched your car, found nothing and then towed it.

Also, in TX (recalling from memory here, tried to look it up in the penal code but couldnt find anything), you just get a ticket for expired or no insurance the first time. Same with expired or no registration. They cant just tow it on a first time offense.

Found on a random insurance site:

There are severe legal penalties for violating the state's financial responsibility laws. A first conviction will result in a fine between $175 and $350. Subsequent convictions could result in fines of $350 to $1,000, suspension of your driver’s license, registration and impoundment of your automobile.
Feel free to pursue the penal code.

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes...htm#601.071.00

Edit:

Found it.

Sec. 601.191. OPERATION OF MOTOR VEHICLE IN VIOLATION OF MOTOR VEHICLE LIABILITY INSURANCE REQUIREMENT; OFFENSE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates a motor vehicle in violation of Section 601.051.

(b) Except as provided by Subsections (c) and (d), an offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $175 or more than $350.

(c) If a person has been previously convicted of an offense under this section, an offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $350 or more than $1,000.

(d) If the court determines that a person who has not been previously convicted of an offense under this section is economically unable to pay the fine, the court may reduce the fine to less than $175.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:22 AM

Another thing that matter is..whose name is on the title/reg of the car? Insurance? This can make a diff is what we as LEO can do. IF IF, you actually had insurance at the time of the citation, you'll be stuck with fees, nothing else. And FYI, i've never heard of been employed by ANY dept. that has a "quota." Even in my time as an MP we didn't have such.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Was the car yours? Did YOU have insurance or was the car insured by someone else in someone else's name? If so, did they have other driver insurance? What company is your insurance with? Is it a credible company or some fly-by-night cheapo place? Have YOU called the phone number on your insurance to make sure it's a valid number?

If you presented an insurance card and the phone number on it was not a valid phone number I could see that being an issue. No one has to be available 24/7 to confirm you have insurance, but dialing a phone number on your insurance card should confirm that the company exist. If the officer called just to make sure the company on the card was legitimate and found it wasn't, and your license plate did not show that the vehicle was insured through the Tex-Sure system, then he can articulate his reason for towing an uninsured car. You would be amazed how easy it is to make a real looking fake insurance card in your living room with modern technology.

If you think he lied about calling your insurance company and the phone number on your insurance card did work, go to the PD and file a complaint immediately. Most likely the traffic stop was recorded and his calling the insurance company was too.

If the officer called your insurance and the number didn't work at all, he was justified in towing the car. If he called and reached a company and simply towed your car because he got an answering machine and no one answered the phone and confirmed your information, he was not justified. If he lied about calling your insurance company, he was not justified.

If you're smart you'll call your insurance company, verify the phone number works and verify that your policy is current. If it is, contact the PD and speak with a supervisor to find out why the car was towed.

Once this is all over call your insurance company and make sure they list your car in the system so your license plate shows that your car is insured.

And there is no such thing as an "end of the month quota".
Old 08-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like he was just looking for reasons to be a *****.

Yeah, make sure you talk to a lawyer first before you do anything.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

File a complaint for searching without permission as well. You should have safe auto so Justin Case could have answered the call
Old 08-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

**** I got stopped for expired registration and inspection tags, I didnt have my wallet so the cop asked me If it was my car, dont know how he got my information but he returned with a ticket for the expired tags and a warning for failure to show DL, NEVER said anything about my insurance ( ticket had my DL #, address, well all my info).
TX has the new E-VERIFY, they can check if u don't have valid Insurance by typing your license plates............ I heard on the radio
Old 08-01-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

What else does 'E-VERIFY' show besides insurance? Inspection? Owner? ???
Old 08-01-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

hopefully he gets hit by a bus for being a bitch. what a ******** thing to do
Old 08-01-2009, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JayBee
Sounds like he was just looking for reasons to be a *****.

Yeah, make sure you talk to a lawyer first before you do anything.
I am all for towing all uninsured drivers. I wish this was done each and every time. This particular person may have been a victim of circumstance but I don't consider an officer who tows uninsured vehicles off our streets to be "******".

As for speaking to a lawyer, there is nothing a lawyer can do in this situation due to his not being charged with an offense other than failure to maintain financial responsibility. If he takes proof of insurance in that will get dismissed. Speaking with a lawyer is a waste of time and money and isn't necessary to get the charge dismissed or file a complaint. In fact a lawyer probably won't be allowed to be present to file a complaint because there is no reason for one to be present and it is business between the PD and the complainant.

For some reason every wants to talk to a lawyer these days before they take a dump. Learn the law, understand it, know your rights, and you'll see how little you ever need a lawyer for.

Originally Posted by Out Of Focus
File a complaint for searching without permission as well.
He didn't need permission if he had probable cause. And if he had already decided to tow the vehicle he didn't need permission to inventory the vehicle.

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07
What else does 'E-VERIFY' show besides insurance? Inspection? Owner? ???
Your license plate has always shown the owner of the vehicle. Now officers can see whether you have verified insurance. If you do it will say "insurance confirmed". In certain circumstances the system will say "no insurance on file" or "verify manually". If that happens you have to have a valid insurance card on you. Without a card or verification in the system, you can get your car towed.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

As I quoted earlier, if its his 1st offense the officer cant tow the vehicle. Its a ticket with a fine. 2nd and 3rd he can tow it but not on the 1st.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default wrong name

edit after reading post from ls1interseptor the system is called TSS
Old 08-01-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor

And there is no such thing as an "end of the month quota".
Yeah we all know its just an urban legend
Old 08-01-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"End of the month quota" is not termed correctly at least where I live. In oklahoma the correct term is, "Performance objectives."
Old 08-01-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cliff
"End of the month quota" is not termed correctly at least where I live. In oklahoma the correct term is, "Performance objectives."
It just amazes me that even on a message board where your real name is unknown, that these cops () have the ***** to lie about this ****.

Last edited by kny3twalker; 08-01-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
Yeah we all know its just an urban legend
Lol yea, even though my old Chief told us we'd better write atleast one ticket each shift or else. Quota's are illegal..much like racial profiling. Both are done regularly but won't be admitted to.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

It just amazes me that even on a message board where your real name is unknown, that these cops () have the ***** to lie about this ****.
I won't lie..I'll tell it like it is
Old 08-01-2009, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bballr4567
As I quoted earlier, if its his 1st offense the officer cant tow the vehicle. Its a ticket with a fine. 2nd and 3rd he can tow it but not on the 1st.
Your post about towing cars has no basis in law in the state of Texas. As you said, you posted something you found "on a RANDOM insurance site", not from the Texas Transportation Code or Texas Penal Code. An insurance company does not set nor enforce law.

You'll notice that in section 601.191, it does not say anywhere that an officer MUST release you with a citation. It simply says the monetary penalty range for the citations upon conviction. When an officer must release you with a citation, such as with speeding or pen container, it says so in the penalty section of the offense.

The ONLY 2 things in Texas that an officer must release you with a citation for, is speeding and open container.

An officer in the state of Texas CAN and often does tow a vehicle for no insurance. You can also be arrested for it. And a conviction will be between $175-$1,000.

Try driving in San Antonio without insurance some time. 1st offense and your car is in the SAPD impound yard.

It still amazes me that even on message boards where your real name is unknown, the ignorant ( ) have the ***** to attempt to discuss a topic in which they have no knowledge.

To this day I have never known a cop who had a quota. And that's a lot of cops. There might be some backwater podunk little bergs that make their officers write tickets, but I don't know any of them.

If officers had quotas I never would have made it through my teen years. I got a lot of citations when I was a teen, every one of which I deserved 100%, but I got 10 times more warnings. Damn those jack booted thugs and their heavy handed ways. How dare they let me off with a warning? Don't they know they have a quota to fill?

And to the PD officer who stopped me a couple of months ago in my Z28 with the cut out open and making all sorts of noise....... I guess you failed your performance evaluation because you had to write me a ticket. Some guy on the internet said so.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

there is no quota just like ls1interceptor said. i've got friends that are cops, past/current and there is no minimum to meet. i know that the car you drive has an impact on the attitude of an officer, he could've had a bad day (no excuse), could your reactions caused him to act the way he did?

i've been a dick right off the bat to a cop and got an even result because of it. i've also been as polite and literate as i could be and had the same result, but mostly it ends in a fair ending on both parties.

i'm not siding with any one person, just sit back and rethink everything. if all your actions were normal and mature then i would want some form of reimbursement for lost funds, hassle, time. what insurance company do you have?