What to do about a lying cop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do about a lying cop?

My wife just called me crying because she just got pulled over by a cop. He said "I just noticed you put your seat belt on". Later he said, "I noticed you didn't have your seat belt on from the freeway, so I pulled up beside you to confirm."

This is the biggest load of bull ever - the officer is lying through his teeth. My wife hasn't had a ticket in years, and is a very cautious driver.

What do you suggest, and how much would it cost if they say too bad, so sad?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Let the DA / JP sort it out. When she appears, it will probably be dropped. He may have a history of doing this...
Old 10-19-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about this, but I guess you could file a complaint, but I doubt it would do any good.

I don't think these tickets are very expensive, but its the principle of it. It would probably end up being more money then its worth to fight it. Sucks, but thats just the way it is.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

yup that's just the way it is. finding an honest cop is like finding a needle in a haystack
Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL! sounds about like the time this female state trooper on a massive power trip gave me a no seatbelt ticket, when I was wearing a red 5 point harness. I got out of the car when I read the ticket to ask her before she drove away and she drew her ****** gun on me!

I was just like "hey! I was wearing my seat belt"

her "I DIDN'T SEE IT! GET BACK IN THE CAR"

I got my charges dropped
Old 10-19-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
LOL! sounds about like the time this female state trooper on a massive power trip gave me a no seatbelt ticket, when I was wearing a red 5 point harness. I got out of the car when I read the ticket to ask her before she drove away and she drew her ****** gun on me!

I got my charges dropped
Are you kidding me? you were wearing 5

I hate how cops think they're always right
Old 10-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Banned

Just sign the ticket and show up to court. Plead your case and see where it goes from there.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

this happened to me a few years ago! I just took him to court to fight it there...I was pissed cause he didnt show up!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kmgsix08
yup that's just the way it is. finding an honest cop is like finding a needle in a haystack
The majority are good guys...it's just the few bad apples that make the rest look bad.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS69TA
The majority are good guys...it's just the few bad apples that make the rest look bad.
true, i would get a traffic lawyer. i pay mine 30 bucks when i get speeding tickets and they are always dismissed.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

It sounds like he was checking out your wife...?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Launching!

fight it to the end, thats some bull ****
Old 10-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Teching In

ive had 2 of these tickets about 145 dollars all said an done most likely different in your area tho if its texas dps its 145
Old 10-20-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what ever happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty? I see no proof, just his word vs hers..
Old 10-20-2009, 05:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6

I got my charges dropped
LMAO!! I had forgoten all about that, Krakowak still tells that story lol

I got pulled over in Arkansas when a state trooper decided to pull out in front of me on the highway. i was going 75mph, the speed limit. he didnt give me much room to slow down and i was driving my 8000lbs Z71 Suburban so i had to really give it some effort to slow down, then he pulled me over for tailgating. I had my Ruger P97 with me as i was moving from little rock to houston.

I got arrested for an unknown reason, and after 3 days in jail i was released cuz they couldnt figure out why i was there. My gun had mysterously vanished, no paperwork no record no nothing. and the holster, the ammo, extra magazines, the speed loader, basically every accessory for the gun, gone.

OP fight his *** to the death, dont let him get away with anything.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gun4hire
what ever happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty? I see no proof, just his word vs hers..
That does not apply 99% of the time. Police officers are usually considered expert witnesses. Their testimony is usually held as a higher standard. Good luck getting a jury or the judge to question their side of the story unless its just completely ridiculous.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by solo21
this happened to me a few years ago! I just took him to court to fight it there...I was pissed cause he didnt show up!
Wouldn't that automatically get the ticket dismissed if he didn't show up? That sounds great, I wouldn't be pissed.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 11SecVette
My wife just called me crying because she just got pulled over by a cop. He said "I just noticed you put your seat belt on". Later he said, "I noticed you didn't have your seat belt on from the freeway, so I pulled up beside you to confirm."

This is the biggest load of bull ever - the officer is lying through his teeth. My wife hasn't had a ticket in years, and is a very cautious driver.

What do you suggest, and how much would it cost if they say too bad, so sad?
The fine range for seat belt violations is $25 - $50 see Texas Transportaion Code Section 545.413 or click here.

In general, seat belt violations for adults are non-moving violations. So if you pay them you do not get points added to your license. See this link as a reference.

Practically though, most seat belt tickets are pled out for $25 plus court costs. Court costs are usually the kicker and ramp up the total amount. Prosecutors do not like trying single seat belt tickets to juries because they usually have bigger fish to fry - but they do it (I did).

Hope that helps.