Got a ticket for no cats...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^yeah and they were prolly non-smokers

plus even when its cold outside i usually always have my windows cracked.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juicy J
The exhaust has to exit beyond the cab of the vehicle. You can run dumps on a truck, because the cab ends in the middle of the vehicle. An Fbody is besically a hatch, therefore the exhaust must exit beyond the bumper.

And yes, people have become ill from exhaust fumes entering the vehicle.
Actually 2 (or maybe 3? don't remember) kids died a few years ago in the bridge because of the exhaust fumes. The f@cking line was like 3 hours long, it was at night and it was winter and the the kids were in the back of a pickup or small suv. Thanks CBP

Oh, and it was on a stock vehicle, so that argument police use is bs.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, I am sure there have been deaths from exhaust leaks and what not.

I know if I am sitting in traffic for a while, I sometimes get a little light headed. Nothing that gets me sick, just a little buzz to ease some of the stress from all the a holes cutting me off. My car has a large cam, and no emissions equipment what so ever. The fumes are pretty strong. If I start the car in the garage (connected), the house will smell of exhaust for a little while.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

my favorite line... " do you have cats under there.... yes.... cop looks under says i dont see them ..... ohhh i just bought it from my friend i didnt know but it sounds nice though ...." never fails
Old 11-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

I never go a mile over the speedlimit in Friendswood. Got pulled over (warning only) for no front license plate twice here - no other reason. I throw it in the window now everytime I roll through Friendswood- not that it really makes it legal - but haven't been hassled since. I get a ticket...time to pay up.

I think they are just "fishing" for bigger stuff alot of times when they do traffic stops for little stuff like that...but who knows.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Yep, dumped exhaust is illegal if it's not past the passenger compartment. The passenger compartment technically leads all the way to the t-top storage area if the divider isn't put up. So basically you have to go over the axle to be legal. So far I don't know of any officers carrying around laser temp. gauges to see if the "fake" or gutted cats are actually working units.

To me it all boils down to what you're willing to compromise..we all know what we're doing is illegal, whether it be no front plate, limo tint, no cats, etc. Just gotta suck it up and take responsibility for the actions if you want to leave your vehicles illegal.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as your stickers are current, meaning your inspection, you should have just said no.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

The officer doesn't have to have permission to look under your vehicle or through the windows. It's part of the plain view "doctrine". Just like if you had refused to let the officer search your car. You have the right to refuse. But if he wants to, he can still call in the K9 and do a search around the car because you have no reason to privacy concerning the air around your car.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Teching In

My old college roomate got pulled over once in Austin for passing in the center lane (4-lane highway plus a center lane for turning). They threw the book at him; he got:

- Illegal lane change
- No cats
- No hood (who knew that was illegal - waiting on a cowl hood and he was doing a shakedown cruise after installing a new engine).
- Side pipes (I guess this goes under the law saying the exhaust has to go to the end of the car).

Came to about $400-500 of tickets, but at least they let him drive home. He didn't have a front plate but for some reason they let that slide (probably forgot).

The car was a 1991 TA GTA with a forged 383, Demon 750, Performer RPM, AFR 225 w/Hydra Rev, etc, etc...
Old 11-08-2009, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure if this is 100% true but i heard a story last year of a dps trooper having a car impounded for not running cats and an expired inspection sticker, the owner ended up hiring a atty to get it back, needless to say it was alot of $.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

funny most tickets on our cars aren't for using the mods they are for having them. never a ticket for speeding just for having the go fast part.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tribaltalon
Easy solution is to tie a dead cat to your offroad y pipe. "but officer I do have a cat on my exhaust system.". The smell may be an issue though.
This is the best solution I have ever heard
Old 11-09-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Being honest does pay off. I got pulled over for speeding 51 in a 35 today. I did not BS the officer one bit and he dropped the "no front license plate" charge.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

An associate of mine once said this and this is how the conversation SHOULD have gone:

Officer: Do you have cats?

You: Yes sir, they're at home sleeping.

/End of problem

Quick Reply: Got a ticket for no cats...