diesel guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mred
**** a diesel,if you wanna have to spend more on oil changes and fuel,then buy a diesel.
you never will break even unless you use the **** out of it.
diesel is fixing to hit $4.00
ASK ME HOW I KNOW!

It always spikes this time of year...

And if your comparing truck to truck diesel is the best way to go, the motors last forever if taken care of and the mileage beats gasoline trucks. And a truck is always good to have around.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

hmmm how much is it to fill up a truck. i guess the miles to the tank is sort of invalid i just want to go over 500 miles really.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got an 05 CC Chevy 4x4 2500HD Duramax. I get about 23 mpg highway with a Diablo Predator Tuner. That's with a heavy freakin push guard on the front and bigger tires. Your mpg's on these will steadily get worse as you A) Get bigger tires, B) Get a push guard, C) Get a crew cab, D) Get a 4x4, E) Drive it over 65 on the highway. The only think I hate about my truck is the tiny tank they put in these crew cabs. Wish I could go farther on a tank.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Have to be honest but this is all just opinions all three major diesels are good trucks, just pick the one you prefer for what you need it for, owner of a diesel and general repair facility.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Launching!

since most of you are hating on fords i figuered id mention my 05 powerstroke dynos 555hp and 1000 tq, and gets 23mpg hiway........on 37" tires. the 5.9 cummins for sure cheaper to make go fast though.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VolksFagen =

The majority of used TDI Volkswagens are junk. Absolute junk. Timing belts tend to snap off the cam gears on those "wonderful" engines. Stay away from European diesel cars.

Duramax, Cummins, and Powerchokes are expensive. Maintenance costs are through the roof when compared to a gas motor. Diesel fuel costs will spike again in the summer. So on and so on. Overall diesel = money. Don't get me wrong, big diesel trucks are bad ***. However, you have to be a baller to own one.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Launching!

maintenance on a diesel is more expensive. but there is less maintenance on a diesel. everything lasts longer. ur gonna get about 7 to 10 mpg better in a diesel depending, so fuel costs even out too
Old 04-19-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

truck you can still have fun!
and a TDI mmmm i consider them fun
Old 04-19-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by That_guy
hmmm how much is it to fill up a truck. i guess the miles to the tank is sort of invalid i just want to go over 500 miles really.
60-80 bucks on my dads 2008 f250 with that twin turbo crap
idk what it is
and its not bad
my dad is a highway *****....
he rather be on the high way than ******* my mom home =////( i say thats wierd.) but he has blown his engine 3 times in the past 6 months....
all diffrent problems. but yea my dad loves ford....
i dont get it he started off with a challenger... when he was in high school
now he wont to ford.... i just cant get it =/'
i thin he did drugs when he was younger
Old 04-19-2010, 07:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will echo that a diesel is expensive to maintain.

My 07 PSD has served its purpose well ... towing a 10Klb enclosed car hauler through a large portion of the US. 60K miles on the clock.

Alternator went out, FICM was replaced as was the HVAC module. That's it!

The last time I pulled my trailer, fuel economy went down to ~14 mpg according to the lie-o-meter. I can get 18-19 combined driving and 20+ on the open hiway.

It is completely stock. No power adders at all.

I looked at a Dodge before I bought the PSD. When I got in, it reminded me of the crappy interiors in Dusters and Demons I had in high school and college. And because I was going to spend HOURS behind the wheel, that way overshadowed the power plant's reputation.

And the Chevy D-Max's styling made me throw up in my mouth.

Now, having said all that ...

I sold an 02 GMC HD with an 8.1/Allison and it was head and shoulders above my PSD. Fuel economy was 9 loaded, 14 hiway unloaded, but the maintenance costs were 1/4 of what my diesel is. And it handled my trailer a LOT better than the PSD.

I miss that truck ...
Old 04-19-2010, 07:33 AM
11 Second Club

If your not going to need the diesel to tow, then you don't need one. Several people have already said this, but you WILL NOT save money on a diesel for the extra mpg you get. Do the math and figure it out for your self.

In the good old days when Diesel was cheap then yeah you could do it. Don't get me wrong I LOVED my 7.3, and it would pull anything you wanted to, never a problem and it was chipped, 4" down pipe, 5" exhaust, boosting just under 25 psi. Was a beast! Towed my boat like it wasn't even there.

Now a days with diesel costing more, and going up even more it's not worth it. Before the Government stepped in oil companies could use the cheap nasty crude to make diesel, that's why it was so cheap. But since the government stepped in and all the low sulfur crap they now have to use a higher grade crude, which is why it's going up. (I work for an oil company....) So when you do the math diesel's are not worth it.

You can a used gas truck for cheaper, oil is cheaper, gas is cheaper, repairs are cheaper. (you know what an alternator costs on a diesel? or a brake job?) You said something about wanting to get more miles out of your tank, hell go put a drag up tank in your bed. Then you can drive a 1000 miles between fill ups and they only cost like a grand.

I know that I love diesels, but unless your towing, they are just not worth it... (esp since some of the new gas trucks will get you 20+ mpg.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's not always about what you need.
In reality, I don't need a motor vehicle at all. I could ride my bike to work (7 miles).

Get what you want.

Last edited by -Ross-; 04-19-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

I have a 08 Duramax with 8" lift and 22s with 37s and get around 15mpg on a good day. I have the DPF delete and a quadzilla programmer and it will still move pretty good for a big truck. I have had no problems at all with mine. But I rarely ever stomp on the truck and it only gets driven on the weekends. It also pulls my car with no problems and most of the time I can barely notice it has a trailer on it. I have never owned a cummins or powerstroke but I have friends with them and they seem to have their problems as every car does.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Domsz06
If your not going to need the diesel to tow, then you don't need one. Several people have already said this, but you WILL NOT save money on a diesel for the extra mpg you get. Do the math and figure it out for your self.

In the good old days when Diesel was cheap then yeah you could do it. Don't get me wrong I LOVED my 7.3, and it would pull anything you wanted to, never a problem and it was chipped, 4" down pipe, 5" exhaust, boosting just under 25 psi. Was a beast! Towed my boat like it wasn't even there.

Now a days with diesel costing more, and going up even more it's not worth it. Before the Government stepped in oil companies could use the cheap nasty crude to make diesel, that's why it was so cheap. But since the government stepped in and all the low sulfur crap they now have to use a higher grade crude, which is why it's going up. (I work for an oil company....) So when you do the math diesel's are not worth it.

You can a used gas truck for cheaper, oil is cheaper, gas is cheaper, repairs are cheaper. (you know what an alternator costs on a diesel? or a brake job?) You said something about wanting to get more miles out of your tank, hell go put a drag up tank in your bed. Then you can drive a 1000 miles between fill ups and they only cost like a grand.

I know that I love diesels, but unless your towing, they are just not worth it... (esp since some of the new gas trucks will get you 20+ mpg.
im glad someone felt like wasting there time,to explain. i was going to but i know,LIKE OTHERS he wont listen or read!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

im not looking to tow anything. do i have to have a truck to tow something. it just seems like i would save money on the fuel route. im just trying to keep myself from filling my car up every 3 days. just saying with all the driving i do it would seem like the right thing to do. i dont want to drive a prius , hell a truck would seem right. what so expensive about diesels .
Old 04-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Nothing really else to add here but. Ive owned 3 diesels, all used to pull trailers and drive excessive amounts of miles, which is what they are great for. Once the need for a big diesel truck goes away they become very expensive. I went from a Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 to a Dodge Neon for a DD, and it is def. cheaper to drive a gas car vs a diesel truck. They are nice tho, and more power than anyone could ever really need. IMO Ive owned the two best diesels you could own. I had a 7.3 PSD, made plenty of power, nicest interior, nicest looking truck. Then a 07 5.9 Cummins shitty interior, uncomfortable seats, mediocre style at best, but makes incredible power w/ very affordable mods. To each his own, drive what you like.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

well i guess i try to find a good gas car then . still am thinking of the jetta tho.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by That_guy
well i guess i try to find a good gas car then . still am thinking of the jetta tho.
WHAT? 1 Extreme to the other!!!
if you really need a truck and to tow something you can find 6.0 2500hd Regular Cab CHEAP all day long on Craigslist!
i have seen them as low as $2500 on up.....
then you could still buy you a good fuel mileage car.
you pick.
good luck
Old 04-25-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mred
WHAT? 1 Extreme to the other!!!
if you really need a truck and to tow something you can find 6.0 2500hd Regular Cab CHEAP all day long on Craigslist!
i have seen them as low as $2500 on up.....
then you could still buy you a good fuel mileage car.
you pick.
good luck
lol no extreme i wanted a vehicle for gas mileage. everyone is telling me my favorite thing nxt to fbodys are expensive to maintain. i would love to own a dmax or cummins for a dd. just to have fun and be able to ride all day. one of the members earlier said they was at 325 miles and was on a half a tank of gas. my car is on e at 325. i dont tow anything tho , if i did it would be because of my uncle.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Banned

well i love my dukeymax,but it aint know 4cyl diesel......
i would sale it for the right amount of money,its a 05 reg 4x4