question about a coolant line "ls1"

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question about a coolant line "ls1"

a quick question for yall guys, the coolant line that runs to each head. the line runs to each hard and its got a T in to. to run to the radiator. well my question is does that line need to be hooked up to the radiator? if it does can you tell me why. thanks
he is a pic of the coolant line i am talking about

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...ker04/line.jpg
Old 04-18-2010, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

No it does not.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

thanks, do you know why it runs to the radiator?
Old 04-18-2010, 03:11 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THE SHOP
No it does not.
That line actually does need to be hooked up to the radiator. It works as a vent to remove any steam/air that could potentially be trapped in the motor. That coolant tube is at a high spot on the motor and should connect to a high spot on the radiator.

If your motor is already filled with coolant with no trapped air, and you cap it, I would expect you to not have any issues. However, if you ever drain your coolant, you're going to have HELL refilling it (without uncapping it every time).

I see your user name is S-10LS1, so I assume this is for a swap? If so, and you don't have a radiator port to connect it to, you may be able to get by with putting some kind of a bleeder on it. Wherever you have a high spot available on the radiator, I would try to get it hooked up somehow.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info theblurls1
yeah the swap is done in my s10. yeah my radiator doesnt have the port to connect to. i was thinking about just getting a radiator from a ls1 camaor or ta and just hooking it up. the radiator i have is kinda small. it worked just fine when the morot was all stock. but i just did heads and cam from tsp. now when i am sitting a light the temp goes up a lil. so i think ill just run a camaro radiator and it will have the hookup and be bigger then the one i have now
Old 04-18-2010, 05:19 PM
FormerVendor

I wouldn't run it capped off. Just get a sleeve with a 1/4 inch nipple and a bleeder in it to put in your top radiator hose. Heres a picture to give you an ideal.