LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Texas Members (https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members-54/)
-   -   How to request police dash cam video?? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/1317205-how-request-police-dash-cam-video.html)

00ChevyScott 08-12-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ysb02 (Post 13725207)
^ It's either let them search your car and be done quickly or wait hours for the dogs to arrive. If they ask to search your car and you refuse they will dick you over.

I think I'd rather them waste their time doing that then going through all the stuff in my car and making a mess, and possibly breaking things. Also, I'm sure they'd throw a bitch fit if they found my handgun in the center console (which is 100% legal in texas as of 2007).

427LS7HCI 08-12-2010 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by who281 (Post 13725215)
This was turning around under I-10 at Fry rd.

and yeahh he was a thick black guy about 5'8.. kinda older

He talks really tense and won't let you finish a sentence lol

The guy was STANDING underneath the over pass in the middle of the road stopping each car and checking their stickers..

Hmmmm at 5'8 he must have been bullied in school and the academy and taking it out on citizens that are taller than him.

427LS7HCI 08-12-2010 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by who281 (Post 13721982)
I was pulled over in Katy by a state trooper standing under an over pass.

He was standing there looking for expired inspection/registration.

I was driving my dads F150 and didnt know the inspection was expired so he told me to pull over.

This guy was the biggest jack-ass i have ever encountered, yelled at me for no reason and searched my gym bag dumped everything out including my gum haha even made me show him everything in my wallet..

i was VERY polite until he kept questioning me about drugs and searching the car and even then i just shook my head and laughed and told him he could search w/e he wanted i had nothing to hide..

well he reminded me MANY times that everything was on video, even had me get out of the car and stand infront of his car.

i dnt care to fight it ill just get the inspection done and pay the $10 .. but it would be a hilarious video if i could get my hands on it. Anyone know how w/o a subpoena?

If you want the video subpoena'd, on what grounds are you wanting the video subpoena'd for? You mentioned earlier that you consented to a search.

Tootall 08-12-2010 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott (Post 13725460)
I think I'd rather them waste their time doing that then going through all the stuff in my car and making a mess, and possibly breaking things. Also, I'm sure they'd throw a bitch fit if they found my handgun in the center console (which is 100% legal in texas as of 2007).

it may be legal, but you still have to "aleart them" of a fire arm in the truck.

00ChevyScott 08-12-2010 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tootall (Post 13725532)
it may be legal, but you still have to "aleart them" of a fire arm in the truck.

Only if they specifically ask if you're concealing a gun in the vehicle. I'm not sure if admitting to having a gun warrants a search or not though.

Earl Filter 08-12-2010 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tootall (Post 13725532)

If you're carrying with a concealed handgun license, yes. If you do not have a CHL and are carrying under the "traveling" provision, then no. It'd still be polite to let them know up front, or at least answer honestly when asked. ;) And the CHL only covers handguns. The traveling provision only covers handguns. You can still put your legal longgun - rifle or shotgun - just about anywhere, loaded or unloaded, still under the letter of the law. A gun rack in the back window of your pickup is stupid, but still legal in Texas.

P.S. - The Trooper's name is Terry. Don't remember his last name, but I do believe he'd write his own mother a ticket.

P.P.S. - You could try an Open Records Act request. Google Texas Open Records Act, I think there's a form to fill out. But good luck with that.

00ChevyScott 08-12-2010 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Earl Filter (Post 13725651)
If you're carrying with a concealed handgun license, yes. If you do not have a CHL and are carrying under the "traveling" provision, then no. It'd still be polite to let them know up front, or at least answer honestly when asked. ;) And the CHL only covers handguns. The traveling provision only covers handguns. You can still put your legal longgun - rifle or shotgun - just about anywhere, loaded or unloaded, still under the letter of the law. A gun rack in the back window of your pickup is stupid, but still legal in Texas.

P.S. - The Trooper's name is Terry. Don't remember his last name, but I do believe he'd write his own mother a ticket.

P.P.S. - You could try an Open Records Act request. Google Texas Open Records Act, I think there's a form to fill out. But good luck with that.

Do you have any input on admitting having a gun in the vehicle, if that gives the LEO a reason to search your car without consent?

who281 08-12-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by 427LS7HCI (Post 13725510)
If you want the video subpoena'd, on what grounds are you wanting the video subpoena'd for? You mentioned earlier that you consented to a search.

i don't care to even file a complaint, i would just love to have the video.

I mean this guy went crazyyyy it would just be a funny video to have, i was hoping there would be a way to get the video w/o any hassle.

and YES his name was TERRY! ^^^

Earl Filter 08-12-2010 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott (Post 13725710)
Do you have any input on admitting having a gun in the vehicle, if that gives the LEO a reason to search your car without consent?

Not in and of itself, provided the gun is otherwise legal. Are you talking a handgun, and with or without a CHL?

00ChevyScott 08-12-2010 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Earl Filter (Post 13725744)
Not in and of itself, provided the gun is otherwise legal. Are you talking a handgun, and with or without a CHL?

Handgun, without a CHL.

Say if I get pulled over for speeding, the cop asks to search vehicle, I say no, He asks if I have a handgun in the vehicle and I say yes, could he search my vehicle without consent?

This is all assuming, no scent of alcohol or anything else suspicious. Strictly a traffic violation stop.

Earl Filter 08-12-2010 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott (Post 13725765)
Handgun, without a CHL.

Say if I get pulled over for speeding, the cop asks to search vehicle, I say no, He asks if I have a handgun in the vehicle and I say yes, could he search my vehicle without consent?

This is all assuming, no scent of alcohol or anything else suspicious. Strictly a traffic violation stop.

Could he? Sure. Would it stand up in court? Big fat maybe. Too many variables, but he'd need to demonstrate probable cause in court. But, by that time, you've already been arrested, car towed, bonded out, got a lawyer, and gone to court. Just how much dope are you carrying? :D Just kidding! The point is merely having a gun in your car that is legal isn't any more cause to search than having your work tools, school books, or anything else that's legal in the car. Point #2 - get a CHL. You'll be surprised how many stops end up with warnings, and maybe even a nice chat about your choice of thug-stopper.

00ChevyScott 08-12-2010 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Earl Filter (Post 13725797)
Could he? Sure. Would it stand up in court? Big fat maybe. Too many variables, but he'd need to demonstrate probable cause in court. But, by that time, you've already been arrested, car towed, bonded out, got a lawyer, and gone to court. Just how much dope are you carrying? :D Just kidding! The point is merely having a gun in your car that is legal isn't any more cause to search than having your work tools, school books, or anything else that's legal in the car. Point #2 - get a CHL. You'll be surprised how many stops end up with warnings, and maybe even a nice chat about your choice of thug-stopper.

I just turned 21 in June, bought my gun days after my bday, and I'm planning on getting a CHL as soon as I can afford it :cheers:

To OP, sorry for going off topic in your thread.

427LS7HCI 08-12-2010 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by who281 (Post 13725725)
i don't care to even file a complaint, i would just love to have the video.

I mean this guy went crazyyyy it would just be a funny video to have, i was hoping there would be a way to get the video w/o any hassle.

and YES his name was TERRY! ^^^

A subpoena would be the only way you could get the video and it would have to be done through an attorney on justifiable grounds.

who281 08-12-2010 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 427LS7HCI (Post 13725913)
A subpoena would be the only way you could get the video and it would have to be done through an attorney on justifiable grounds.

I was afraid that would be the only way.

As much as i would like to file a complaint, because i have never been treated like that before, its not worth my time.

ZONES89RS 08-12-2010 06:48 PM

I dont have a CHL, donr carer to get one, every time i get stopped i just tell them,"Here is my TDL, insurance car and i have my personal firearm in my console"

They say,"Ok" and take the ID and card and conduct their routine stop.

Now, being as i am a correctional officer, i am sure the ID for the state of texas helps more than i can tell you as it assures them immediately i am on the right side of the law and i do get allot of warnings and the stops usually end up in lengthy conversation over their department as i ask questions to see where i will be working in the near future, reason i dont have a CHL is i dont want to waste the money when i know i will be a police officer soon.

badinfluencelsx 08-12-2010 07:56 PM

lol thats funny, could have very well been the same one that keeps fkin with me. hes a older black guy, unsure on height and name. i dont have any of the tickets any more. he even tried the window tint thing with me. my windows are damn near clear! i might as well not even have tint. but he was in a car on the side of I10 between katy mills and the new rooms to go warehouse that i used to work at

CarsandWomen 08-13-2010 06:57 AM

ive been pulled over several times in the last few years with my guns, i dont bother to tell them about it unless A they ask or B they ask to search the vehicle, at which point i say sure but theres a loaded pistol in the console. Ive never once been givin shit for having it and i dont have a CHL

00ChevyScott 08-13-2010 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen (Post 13728316)
B they ask to search the vehicle, at which point i say sure but theres a loaded pistol in the console. Ive never once been givin shit for having it and i dont have a CHL

Do they still search your vehicle? I would figure if there was a firearm involved they would take their sweet time searching, call for backup, run the numbers on the gun, etc.

tribaltalon 08-13-2010 08:31 AM

kind of funny that i've NEVER been asked if they can search my vehicle. i've never had issues with LEO's, either. been pulled over many times, and the only tickets i've ever gotten were fix it tickets (registration, etc). hell i even got pulled over once on i45 for a trooper immediately after a roll race on my old gsxr1k with another r1, we were doing well over 150+ when we passed him.. he turned on the lights and both of us pulled over. he looked shocked when he walked up to us like WTF did you guys pull over for?? ended up giving both of us warnings, and sent us on our merry way.

TAHunter 08-13-2010 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by tribaltalon (Post 13728549)
kind of funny that i've NEVER been asked if they can search my vehicle. i've never had issues with LEO's, either. been pulled over many times, and the only tickets i've ever gotten were fix it tickets (registration, etc). hell i even got pulled over once on i45 for a trooper immediately after a roll race on my old gsxr1k with another r1, we were doing well over 150+ when we passed him.. he turned on the lights and both of us pulled over. he looked shocked when he walked up to us like WTF did you guys pull over for?? ended up giving both of us warnings, and sent us on our merry way.

Honestly, I think most Troopers would give a 1k biker a warning if they bothered to actually stop - He was probably shocked that you even noticed him as he quickly flew further back into your mirror.