HID's Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so now you are a certified bad ***, look what I can do.

Go on with your ricer business, www.autozone.com so you can you some LED lights for the rest of your jigga. Quotes got that and I didn't feel like fixing them steven seagal
Old 09-01-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok so now you are a certified bad ***, look what I can do.

Go on with your ricer business, www.autozone.com so you can you some LED lights for the rest of your jigga. Quotes got that and I didn't feel like fixing them steven seagal

You can do that but yet you run over semi tires and dead animals..maybe its your driving skills
Old 09-01-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL calm down, it's ok, people have different opinions. Breathe. I'm no F1 racer but my driving skills aren't bad, but if you've ever driven down 290/21 in the dark of night, you know how dangerous it can be.

And the only animal that has encountered a car of mine was a deer, that ran into my car. I jumped out of the car and chased it into the woods for good measure.

100yds isn't that much for a rifle btw, now if I was claiming .5" groups at 100yds with a pistol or something....I was more suggesting that I'm not visually impaired

Pic of said "ricey" car:

Last edited by $750 L98; 09-01-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by $750 L98
If you want HID, this is the way to do it: http://www.blackbirdlighting.com/

(same as what the OP uses from the sound of it)

actually, I have a camaro, and I have these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...Q5fAccessories
Old 09-01-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like those. Might just have to talk my buddy into buying them for his Z. Anyway, i'd contest the ticket and just explain why you have them, those are true projectors and a COMPLETE units made for HIDs which are as far as I have been able to research are totally legal.

Either way, I'd take a ticket over stock halogen lights, there is a reason manufacturers are moving away from halogen just as fast as they can...
Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I love HIDs, more so the 4-6K intensity over the purple/blue of the higher heat ranges now that I have gotten older, but the T/A has sealed beams. A T/A with projectors looks retarded, IMO. Different strokes for different folks...
Old 09-02-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like those. Might just have to talk my buddy into buying them for his Z. Anyway, i'd contest the ticket and just explain why you have them, those are true projectors and a COMPLETE units made for HIDs which are as far as I have been able to research are totally legal.

Either way, I'd take a ticket over stock halogen lights, there is a reason manufacturers are moving away from halogen just as fast as they can...

look up the dot code for headlights, projectors are just as illegal as running hid in a halogen housing. the law was ment to protect consumers against car dealers putting non oem spec equipment on a vehicle
Old 09-02-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I like those. Might just have to talk my buddy into buying them for his Z.
I would not suggest this. the weatherstripping on these were falling apart after only 1 week, and one of the cutoffs is messed up.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And again I can't find anything in federal law prohibiting a full conversion (Housings with bulbs MEANT for projectors). In Texas ruling is left up to federal laws (FMVSS 108, but it's a huge document lol) , I can't find anything about a private installer not being allowed to install HIDs.

Even if their is some obscure law against full conversions, I'd still take the ticket over halogens, or if you are really scared about it, go with halogens in the projector housing.

But then again, I hardly think any of us here would choose to drive a stock car over modding. The law is pretty vague when it comes to full conversions, I still say fight it. It's not like you are some ricer honda with half *** conversions in a reflector housing.

http://calcoast-itl.com/assets/NHTSA...4%20Review.pdf

Notice that they avoid saying that HID in HID housings would be an illegal retrofit onto a car that did not come with OEM HID.

Last edited by $750 L98; 09-02-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: HID's Illegal?