Freeway on-ramp emissions checkpoints?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

in northern VA you WILL get a letter saying your car needs to be IM240 dyno emissions tested, else you can't register your car and you will get fined. It uses Infa Red to detect the emissions.

avoid if you can or shut off and coast through.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8urls1
I used to brake boost when going through these until I got a letter in the mail saying I "SHOULD" have my vehicles checked for smog pollution.Funny but what they are doing is counting cars and pollution in the area.I guess my building boost wasn't funny to them

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
The above posts about measuring average emissions is true. They are basically taking a survey or a census of emissions for that area. You wont get a ticket or something in the mail, if you think this you are a retard and need to slap yourself in the side of the head. I think it I am going to get a white van and a sign just so I can watch you tards shut your car off and coasting by and laugh my *** off.
This
Old 01-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

If they just measure emissions without sending nasty grams, then why do they only appear in emissions counties? I live in a non-emission county where my inspections are only 14.50 and I have never seen one in my county. I know Texas wants to put ours as an emissions county so it would seem logical to put the vans in those counties. Just my copper pennies.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
The above posts about measuring average emissions is true. They are basically taking a survey or a census of emissions for that area. You wont get a ticket or something in the mail, if you think this you are a retard and need to slap yourself in the side of the head. I think it I am going to get a white van and a sign just so I can watch you tards shut your car off and coasting by and laugh my *** off.
from epa.gov

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/15-remot.pdf
Old 01-20-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pictures of these stations?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by regorih383
Pictures of these stations?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

i wonder if having dumped exhaust would have any effect on the results seeing as they say they measure the front of the car vs the rear of the car. never said anything about under the car lol
Old 01-20-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

a cummins with a smoke switch would be fun when passing those stations. if there was a camera they could not even see the plate numbers trough all the smoke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYaU1v1VIAc&NR=1
Old 01-20-2011, 07:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
Thanks. I slapped myself and thought WTF.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
The irony of the link, is that the link provider (EPA lab) is based in Ann Arbor, MI - a State where we don't have ANY vehicle emissions testing or inspections of any type whatsoever. LOL.

p.s. Thanks for the link. Very interesting stuff I had no idea existed.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

And this is why I have a 1970 Camaro and not my old 1998 TransAm, Next time I see one in DFW I'll do a rolling burn out hahahah
Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

These things exist?
I've heard about them, but never thought it was implemented. why don't people vote against this stuff? do people like tickets, or do they think "I have nothing to worry about"
Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the only one i ever see is the on ramp from the south loop (610) eastbound exiting to get on 288 south, and it is def an acceleration part of the road, if i was in my car i would just push in the clutch and shut it off just to be on the safe side, better safe than sorry but ive never driven by it in my car.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

this country is starting to be completely taken over by hippies and retards
Old 01-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
a cummins with a smoke switch would be fun when passing those stations. if there was a camera they could not even see the plate numbers trough all the smoke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYaU1v1VIAc&NR=1
done, i floor my 7.3 with a hot chip when i pass them. smoke everywhere.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Ok, guys..... I happen to be one of the retards that got a letter. Several years ago in my old Coupe with turn downs, I went through one without knowing what it was. Two weeks later I got a letter saying my car was a high emitter and that I had to take it to a certified emissions station for a test. If I did not, within 30 days, my license or my vehicle registration would not be renewed until the matter was resolved.

I simply took care of the problem.... wink, wink. But these things are for real. I still throw the car in neutral when going through them.... even in my wife's Expedition. I absolutely hate the EPA for this. I read somewhere car pollution was only 3% of all the pollution problems in the world. Chemical plants are something like 31%, yet you don't see them cracking down on them. The plants will simply pay the fines and continue.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by niceguyyy01
Ok, guys..... I happen to be one of the retards that got a letter. Several years ago in my old Coupe with turn downs, I went through one without knowing what it was. Two weeks later I got a letter saying my car was a high emitter and that I had to take it to a certified emissions station for a test. If I did not, within 30 days, my license or my vehicle registration would not be renewed until the matter was resolved.

I simply took care of the problem.... wink, wink. But these things are for real. I still throw the car in neutral when going through them.... even in my wife's Expedition. I absolutely hate the EPA for this. I read somewhere car pollution was only 3% of all the pollution problems in the world. Chemical plants are something like 31%, yet you don't see them cracking down on them. The plants will simply pay the fines and continue.
There ya go, first hand experience. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They do crack down on the plants. Our power plant has been set up with scrubbers for the problem. But the different plants can buy credits from other plants that dont pollute as much and that allows them to get away with it.

Quick Reply: Freeway on-ramp emissions checkpoints?