satellte radio question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default satellte radio question

i just got a xm satellite radio and the model is the delphi roady xt and it comes with the normal xm antenna. i have an 02 silverado and i want to use the OEM xm antenna that comes on the 03-05's. can i just cut the xm antenna that came with the radio and splice it to the oem antenna? i dont care if it's the shark fin antenna on the newer chevy's or if it's just the nub looking one. i just dont want to run that xm wire outside. i want it to look like it came with the truck and make it look clean. im capeable of doing what it takes to do this i just wanna know if the oem xm antenna just has one wire to splice into or is it different. i have looked online at pictures and it's hard to tell.
here is a pic
Old 05-25-2011, 06:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Call a place like car toys. They should have plenty of experience with this.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

you do not want to splice the antenna wire without reshielding it. if you do, it will pick up all sorts of interference from inside the car.

Depending on where you want to mount your radio, you may be able to use the existing antenna lead as it is.

There used to be a website where you could buy 3 ft extensions, but I can find my bookmark
Old 05-25-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

oh ok cool thanks. im calling junk yards right now trying to find an antenna so i can go get it and look at the plug on it to see if its the same.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want to have the antenna outside, why not just use the original Roady XT antenna and pull the cable through the third brake light?

My 03 came w/factory XM and has that ugly fin on the roof, but now that I have an aftermarket XM unit (XM OnyX), I mounted the antenna on top of the dash with double sided tape.