Random Rant about Dell tech support

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Rant about Dell tech support

So a buddy of mine bought a pretty loaded Dell machine last year from there refurb/outlet center. He was deployed most of 2010 and he's now doing civilian contract work for the marines. He came home last week on leave and hadn't used this machine since last summer and it crashes under any decent load (recenty found this out)and since he had 2 leave again I offered to help. I call Dell and the warranty is two weeks out, I explain to them why and there superior doesnt care…end rant. I'm pretty sure its either the hard drive or aftermarket video card.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think any help desk would that, especially in our fabulous economy.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Launching!

I had to use the Dell tech support for my laptop a couple times, they were nothing but great and everything was always done with next day shipping and follow up class just to make sure it was still working right. All it cost is 89 dollars to extend your warranty another year if you do it before it goes out. It's no ones fault but his own, you can't blame the company for not fixing a computer that isn't under warranty anymore. That's like you selling someone a car part and them coming back to you a year later and saying hey this broke last week, and you need to pay to have it fixed.

Jon
Old 06-02-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

You need to get the machine to generate a crash dump. I would make sure its setup to generate a crash dump on system fault. Go to system properties> 'advanced' tab >'start up and recovery' settings button> - look at options under 'System Failure', and make sure that 'automatically restart' is unchecked and under 'write debugging info' that atleast 'Kernel Dump' is selected, or 'complete memory dump' if system memory is under 4GB. The next time this machines crashes it should write a crash dump in system root C:\windows directory. The file will be called memory.dmp, you can use windbg to debug the crash dump and pinpoint the cause. The crash will also be displayed on the monitor and may identify the offending process.

Last edited by 03Sssnake; 06-02-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
You need to get the machine to generate a crash dump. I would make sure its setup to generate a crash dump on system fault. Go to system properties> 'advanced' tab >'start up and recovery' settings button> - look at options under 'System Failure', and make sure that 'automatically restart' is unchecked and under 'write debugging info' that atleast 'Kernel Dump' is selected, or 'complete memory dump' if system memory is under 4GB. The next time this machines crashes it should write a crash dump in system root C:\windows directory. The file will be called memory.dmp, you can use windbg to debug the crash dump and pinpoint the cause. The crash will also be displayed on the monitor and may identify the offending process.
Alright I'll check it out, I took a+ a few years ago but I dont remember everything, the system has 8 gigs. Thanks