radiator help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator help

Can some of the experienced tech members spread some knowledge please
I'm changing my radiator and need some help can seem to take it out... I've disconnected all the hoses but dnt see how it's still in place
This is on my 99 TA
Thanks tech I really appreciate the help
Old 02-10-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS Quick
Can some of the experienced tech members spread some knowledge please
I'm changing my radiator and need some help can seem to take it out... I've disconnected all the hoses but dnt see how it's still in place
This is on my 99 TA
Thanks tech I really appreciate the help
been awhile since i've taken out a stock radiator, but iirc once you remove the top radiator support (lower airbox) and the hoses, its just sitting in the cradle.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Teching In

It looks like something is connected to the fans because when I try to pull it out the fans want to come to?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to take the fans off. Also, there is an a/c line that is in a bracket at the bottom of the rad., at least on my 94 v-6 there was.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From ls1howto:

We need to remove the radiator. First, get under the car with a small flathead screwdriver and unclip both fan electrical connectors (using the flathead screwdriver, as it's nearly impossible to do with your fingers). While you are under there, also unclip all the plastic wiring rings holding the wiring harness to the fan shroud. You're all done under here, go ahead and get back up to the top of the engine bay and get a friend to help with the next part.

Loosen the AC drier clamp and lift the drier up a little bit out of the holder. This will make it easier to move the AC hose out of the way of the fans when we pull the radiator/fans out in the next step. Make SURE the drier can doesn't touch any leads on the battery...I recommend covering the battery terminals with a towel.

Now, you have a big assembly here....the fan shroud is mounted on the radiator via 4 slide in tabs, and on the front of the radiator the AC condenser (looks like another radiator) is attached to the radiator with 4 tabs. We need to slide the AC condenser UP about 2 inches to dislodge the tabs and get the radiator free from its grasp. This will take some cursing and a good light source so you can see the 4 slide in tabs I'm talking about. Once the AC condenser is loose from the radiator, both of you need to lift the radiator up and out.

Lifting the radiator up and out....that sounds so easy doesn't it? HA! This part can sometimes be frustrating, so be patient. While trying to remove the radiator, you'll need to make sure that on the drivers side you don't catch on the AC condenser hard lines. The large coolant hose will want to snag on things. Keep wrestling with it until the radiator/fan assembly comes out totally, and set it aside. The AC condenser will stay in the car for the whole install.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks tech for the help it's out now