Lost 240V Main.... Damage??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lost 240V Main.... Damage??

Well Tuesday night we kicked on both a/c units and went to bed. Woke up and the temp was the same. Power was ""pulsing"" stove didnt work etc so called builder well there electrical guys said we lost a leg on main.

Centerpoint came and said the samething. It was a failure on centerpoints end so they had to run a bypass.

My question is long term life of my tv and all electrical components of the brand new home. TV and A/C was ran before anyone knew what the issue was and it shut off due to lack voltage. However it's works fine now that we are restored.

I guess I could call the manufactures and ask if a lack of voltage will damage there products.....
Old 03-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about tvs, but single phase appliances like a stove or fridge and your AC are generally not hurt by losing a leg. They just won't run. Losing a leg of power is much more detrimental when the equipment is three phase (208, 240, or 480). "Single phasing" a piece of three phase equipment can smoke it in no time.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a co-worker at my last job who had a similar problem. As I recall, they raised hell, but were basically told if things went out within the next month, they would take care of it, but otherwise to pound sand.

I might call the manufacturer of your A/C and other affected electronics and see what they say.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We lost a leg last summer - blew the breaker door over the fence, fried almost every breaker, that particular wire looked like a crispy twig. Had the entire box and its contents replaced. No damage whatsoever to the AC, TV, any appliances...
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should be fine.
Your 120v appliances utilize a single leg of the two leg system. The only 120v appliances that would be affected are the ones on circuits that utilize the lost leg. Those appliances simply would not work because they did not have power.