LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Texas Members (https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members-54/)
-   -   Track requirements for drag cars? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/1548165-track-requirements-drag-cars.html)

XtremeBBQ 05-19-2012 04:27 PM

how high will it pull the tires if you have a 50gal drum of plastic in the back?

retardedpenguin 05-19-2012 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ls1ChevyII1963 (Post 16330054)
I'd completely go over that nova before you run it at all. It's got some nice parts but it's been taken apart and put back together many times by kids learning on it. Our class built the big block it used to have in it.

Yeah I showed my boss the car and he said I might as well part it out. He use to build race car cages and there was no way it would pass safety requirements.

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ (Post 16330453)
how high will it pull the tires if you have a 50gal drum of plastic in the back?

I don't get it?

Jake_the_Snake 05-19-2012 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ (Post 16330453)

:jest:

UTzo6 05-19-2012 06:59 PM

Make sure you record the mpg's while pulling the wheels. Thanks

retardedpenguin 05-19-2012 07:02 PM

Will do

Ls1ChevyII1963 05-19-2012 08:59 PM

Yeah I've seen the car sitting outside Josh's shop. That car is hard to miss with those weird front runners I think they're off a vw.

SnIpEz 05-19-2012 09:20 PM

400 horsepower and you're expecting it to pull the front tires a foot off the ground...?

retardedpenguin 05-20-2012 01:12 AM

What all do you know about the car? All there is, is just hammy down stories. I generally don't believe most of what Larson says also haha. Has Acura front wheels, it gets the job done. I probably won't take it to the track, just run it down the road a few times and use it as practice to learn how to paint and touch up on my bodywork skills.

And 400 is plenty with the right suspension and weight to pull the wheels. It might be making more but I was trying to be realistic. The whole class said it pulled the wheels the last time it was driven though.

97badass 05-20-2012 01:29 AM

Finally get all those iphones sold to pay for your car?

SnIpEz 05-20-2012 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin (Post 16331657)
What all do you know about the car? All there is, is just hammy down stories. I generally don't believe most of what Larson says also haha. Has Acura front wheels, it gets the job done. I probably won't take it to the track, just run it down the road a few times and use it as practice to learn how to paint and touch up on my bodywork skills.

And 400 is plenty with the right suspension and weight to pull the wheels. It might be making more but I was trying to be realistic. The whole class said it pulled the wheels the last time it was driven though.

Pulling the wheels is an inch is one thing, a foot off the ground is another. 400 would not be enough to pull the wheels a foot off the ground. A guy I know has a Nova with a bit over 500 to the wheels, e85, the works, and the car has full aftermarket suspension. Does not pull the wheels. I wouldn't call 400 "plenty" for that.

bat! 05-20-2012 01:35 AM

thumbsdow

So you have a high school kid built race car with acura dummy tires for skinnys, sounds bad ass :nono:

v8sten 05-20-2012 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by bat! (Post 16331700)
thumbsdow

So you have a high school kid built race car with acura dummy tires for skinnys, sounds bad ass :nono:

try an entire acura front strut assembly, there is a reason why he is not posting any pictures, that car looks like sh!t.

kingd_202 05-20-2012 02:51 AM

I understand some of us here half ass on certain things on our cars but you sir take the cake!!! Acura legend interior in a chevelle, Acura wheels as front runners on a nova, Chevy Escalade, countless half ass paint jobs. Im sure I am missing some :jest:

Ls1ChevyII1963 05-20-2012 08:05 AM

What all do you know about the car? All there is, is just hammy down stories. I generally don't believe most of what Larson says also haha. Has Acura front wheels, it gets the job done. I probably won't take it to the track, just run it down the road a few times and use it as practice to learn how to paint and touch up on my bodywork.

For what you paid for the car you got a decent deal with the narrowed 9inch with those weld wheels out back. Does it still have the powerglide with the trans brake? Also it had a really nice 4 link setup out back but when I left they were talking about a ladder bar setup so I'm not sure whats there now.

That car has a lot of potential if I remember right it was in the 2500-2600lb range and the motor mounts are moved back a good ways to help with the weight transfer.

stoverz28 05-20-2012 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz (Post 16331698)
Pulling the wheels is an inch is one thing, a foot off the ground is another. 400 would not be enough to pull the wheels a foot off the ground. A guy I know has a Nova with a bit over 500 to the wheels, e85, the works, and the car has full aftermarket suspension. Does not pull the wheels. I wouldn't call 400 "plenty" for that.

Go drag racing more. All thats needed to lift the tires that high is a 1.5 60' in a light car. 400hp @ 2600lbs can accomplish that very easily.

Pics of car or :ban:.

red281gt 05-20-2012 12:18 PM

Stover is correct a lot has to do.with the weight transfer of the car.

retardedpenguin 05-20-2012 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by kingd_202 (Post 16331753)
I understand some of us here half ass on certain things on our cars but you sir take the cake!!! Acura legend interior in a chevelle, Acura wheels as front runners on a nova, Chevy Escalade, countless half ass paint jobs. Im sure I am missing some :jest:

Ok? I still made money off them. I didn't like the Acura dash either but $6,000 for a restored chevelle ain't shit. I sold it for that with no engine or wheels. Half ass paint jobs? I'm guessing you've never seen my cars. Of course my cars aren't going to be perfect, I accomplished all I had with a part time job. I did the best I could with what I had.

It has an Acura front set up? Someone that looked at it said it was an old mustang set up. I guess that explains the wheels, and yes it was a grand, I figured why not. Im out of town so no pics till Monday.

Cam72aro 05-20-2012 01:38 PM

I remember seeing that car when I was at State competition in auto mechanics back in 2000. I looked at the front strut setup and was like WTF, it was all caddy whompus and crooked. The back half was nice from what I remember. So yeah, that car has been around for a while.

Here is the car. . .

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...0/img4169n.jpg

retardedpenguin 05-20-2012 02:00 PM

It's a little nastier now, it's been sitting for a while.

SnIpEz 05-20-2012 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by stoverz28 (Post 16332447)
Go drag racing more. All thats needed to lift the tires that high is a 1.5 60' in a light car. 400hp @ 2600lbs can accomplish that very easily.

Pics of car or :ban:.

lol @ you, I know plenty, but no one told me the car weighed 2600 lbs