Any tips to keep dogs from digging?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hold his head at the.hole scream at him.with anger hit his *** and they will.learn. That's how I trained.my pug not to do **** in the house.lol
Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

When I put my new fence in I dug a hole at a 45 degree angle coming into my yard form the fence and lined the bottom of it with chicken wire. My dog dug back through the dirt once and hit the chicken wire bending a nail back. Since then she hasnt tried digging and her nail healed up just fine.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
When I put my new fence in I dug a hole at a 45 degree angle coming into my yard form the fence and lined the bottom of it with chicken wire. My dog dug back through the dirt once and hit the chicken wire bending a nail back. Since then she hasnt tried digging and her nail healed up just fine.
I've always wanted to do something like that but with the existing fence it wasn't near as feasible. Plus, it's been 5+ years since they dug out. That electric fence worked magic.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by red281gt
Hold his head at the.hole scream at him.with anger hit his *** and they will.learn. That's how I trained.my pug not to do **** in the house.lol
Generally all that does is create a dog that has constant fear and anxiety about everything. A dog has no idea what it is in trouble for unless it is caught in the act.

It can work with **** and ****, but with holes it doesn't work as well. I have showed them the holes, picked up their paws and dug the dirt with their foot while scorning them but they don't get it. So if I hit them it would do more harm than good.

Besides, I have trained my dogs in a way that putting hands on them in no way hurts them near as bad as when I am unhappy with them.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well all I know is my dog listens lol
Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my female red pit likes to dig hole under my fence and get out and go run around the block i put big heavy stones all around my fence and some how she manages to move them and still dig out. i just tied her up solved the problem and my next door neighbors are the type to call the police when they see a dog loose. id hate to see my dog get hauled away.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cheeseLS2
my female red pit likes to dig hole under my fence and get out and go run around the block i put big heavy stones all around my fence and some how she manages to move them and still dig out. i just tied her up solved the problem and my next door neighbors are the type to call the police when they see a dog loose. id hate to see my dog get hauled away.
Can't imagine why they would call on a loose pit in the neighborhood.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, my pit has taught me to never be amazed at the strength the have. The electric fence is your best bet. They will find a way around or through things they want to get past. My pit has broken many kennels, even steel kennels.

My little guys

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 05-29-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i have 2 a male and female. the male is calm and laid back and chills for the most part unless the meter reader or someone approches the backyard. the female will start barking at the next door neighbors dogs and go crazy jumping around and diggin to get to the other side or to get out and the male will usually start barking too. but he doest get out i guess because he doesnt choose too. or doesnt know how. LOL

heres both of them from earlier today laying out and i do let her loose for a couple of hours but i keep a eye on her i dont trust her too much
Old 05-30-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Veteran

yeah i have 2 a male and female. the male is calm and laid back and chills for the most part unless the meter reader or someone approches the backyard. the female will start barking at the next door neighbors dogs and go crazy jumping around and diggin to get to the other side or to get out and the male will usually start barking too. but he doest get out i guess because he doesnt choose too. or doesnt know how. LOL

heres both of them from earlier today laying out and i do let her loose for a couple of hours but i keep a eye on her i dont trust her too much
Mow your yard! haha
Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

just cut it last saturday, still trying to regrow it properly since the drought last year used to be nice and green now its all patchy :-(
Old 05-30-2012, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Not sure how far you want to go here....

When i bought my house i laid the grass in the back. But beore i laid the grass i put down chichen wire. I covered the whole yard. Solved my problem with the digging
Old 05-30-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

the poop idea actually works...and no i personally didn't pop a squat in each of the dogs' holes. grab some of their own poop and put it in the holes. worked every time for my labs that love to dig.

moral of the story: no one likes to dig in their own ****
Old 05-30-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm about to use this on mine if they don't stop F&%$*&^ digging in my back yard.

Last edited by samckitt; 05-30-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

beat beat beat somemore....if that dont work shoot at him ..... if that dont work shoot bigger gun at him . if all else fails i know a dog trainer...hes good. Oh and i was just kidding dont beat or shoot at your dog.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

The problem I had is the big one digs a hole for the little one to make his escape. I swear dogs are to damned smart for their own good.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

just cut it last saturday, still trying to regrow it properly since the drought last year used to be nice and green now its all patchy :-(
Understandable. My yard went to **** too.

Originally Posted by Linxs
Not sure how far you want to go here....

When i bought my house i laid the grass in the back. But beore i laid the grass i put down chichen wire. I covered the whole yard. Solved my problem with the digging
That's a damn good idea if you are going to sod the yard.

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
the poop idea actually works...and no i personally didn't pop a squat in each of the dogs' holes. grab some of their own poop and put it in the holes. worked every time for my labs that love to dig.

moral of the story: no one likes to dig in their own ****
I am going to try this next

My back yard isn't that great so if the poop in the holes doesn't work and I ever decide to go to town on the yard, I'm going to do the chicken wire and sod. That would definitely do the trick.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by samckitt
I'm about to use this on mine if they don't stop F&%$*&^ digging in my back yard.

I understand the feeling trust me.

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
The problem I had is the big one digs a hole for the little one to make his escape. I swear dogs are to damned smart for their own good.

Hahaha that's too damn funny man. Cute dogs too.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get a plastic kids wading pool and keep it filled with fresh water. They will go in there to cool off instead of digging holes.

Don
Old 05-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FireHawk178
Install a sprinkler system.
Ha! I have one and my Husky literally dug a hole around the sprinkler head and started mawing the pipes! Craziness!!! I will try the bath thing, never heard it before.

Quick Reply: Any tips to keep dogs from digging?