Cushing and Watt are jacked

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012 | 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
You serious? A power lifter or body builder could probably do 100 reps at 225.

But these guys are strong and agile, there is videos of watt jumping 55inches onto a box. That's something a power lifter couldnt do.
What? Nobody could bench 225 100 times. And definitely not a body builder or powerlifter.
Old 10-12-2012 | 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
What? Nobody could bench 225 100 times. And definitely not a body builder or powerlifter.
Ronnie Coleman supposedly does 225 75 times. And he is a body builder. Please educate yourself. I didn't literally mean 100 but I just meant They would make these guys look like kids in the gymnasium.
Old 10-12-2012 | 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also there is guys lifting at 185 lifting 225 40+ times Aswell. I'm not saying these guys arent beasts. But to compare them to
Guys who do strictly strength training and or body building is foolish.
Old 10-12-2012 | 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

I'm probably going to get flamed for this as well, but that's not heavy weight considering their size. Don't get me wrong, they are both great players. I'm just not impressed.

You want to be impressed about a football player lifting heavy? Try Larry Allen, he was benching close to 700lbs.

[youtube]ht6ePCq9YRo[/youtube]
Old 10-12-2012 | 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
youre comparing two totally different sports. powerlifters are training for 1 rep max's. these guys are doing the opposite, moderate weight till failure reps. they are both difficult, but your training style and program would cater to one or the other. the football guys are doing lifting programs with more endurance and drop sets obviously.
I'm not the one comparing the two, I was pointing out the differences.
Old 10-12-2012 | 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
I'm probably going to get flamed for this as well, but that's not heavy weight considering their size. Don't get me wrong, they are both great players. I'm just not impressed.

You want to be impressed about a football player lifting heavy? Try Larry Allen, he was benching close to 700lbs.

[youtube]ht6ePCq9YRo[/youtube]
I don't think anyone is saying 225lbs is heavy. Lots of people can lift that much, it isn't hard. But to do it 30-40 times while still being lean, agile, fast, and have the stamina to go 100% ***** to the wall for an entire football game is VERY impressive.
Old 10-12-2012 | 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZFSix
I don't think anyone is saying 225lbs is heavy. Lots of people can lift that much, it isn't hard. But to do it 30-40 times while still being lean, agile, fast, and have the stamina to go 100% ***** to the wall for an entire football game is VERY impressive.
You just said lets see a power lifter do 225 30 or 34? Like you were saying they couldn't do it?
Old 10-13-2012 | 12:09 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

I like it when people who don't know what they are talking about argue and additionally they fail at reading comprehension. It always makes for interesting internet debates.
Old 10-13-2012 | 01:43 AM
Launching!

I can't believe you are comparing Cushing and watt to Ronnie Coleman. One is training for explosive movements and endurance while the other is training for cosmetics.

Not taking away anything from Coleman or any other body builder- I've met him once before at the Arnold classic and what they can do with their bodies is amazing.

Still- watt and Cushing are training for a sport that has a lot of physical contact- completely different scenario.
Old 10-13-2012 | 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1965GP
I can't believe you are comparing Cushing and watt to Ronnie Coleman. One is training for explosive movements and endurance while the other is training for cosmetics.

Not taking away anything from Coleman or any other body builder- I've met him once before at the Arnold classic and what they can do with their bodies is amazing.

Still- watt and Cushing are training for a sport that has a lot of physical contact- completely different scenario.
Exactly! Look at all the idiots who said that power lifters and body builders couldn't do the same ****!!!

I'm just trying to point out their foolishness. They are completely different goals and or sports. But when you try to compare strength or amount of reps @ 225 you need to be damn certain a competitive body builder or Power lifter would make these guys look like children.
Old 10-13-2012 | 02:24 PM
On The Tree

200+ lbs is a lot of weight, i don't care who you are. that combined with the speed at which they are doing this and the fact that this is at the end of the workout is very impressive. keep in mind that the average untrained adult male can only lift around 150 for 1 rep.

sure, i've seen guys lift twice this at the gym but they move slow as dirt and generally look like they're shitting themselves in the process. agility and muscle endurance is just as important, if not more so than raw strength

Quick Reply: Cushing and Watt are jacked