Yet another oil field thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texas94z
The beauty behind high interest student loans is that grads MUST pay back all debt because they are bound for life. They can't be forgiven even under bankruptcy. It's the perfect plan because there is no risk on the lenders side. That's why student loans are so easy to get loans.
Now IDNK this! I feel bad for the majority of my friends that didnt go to college on SCHOLARSHIP like I did. The majority make less, and a few make a hair more than me....but they all have 10-70k debt to pay back. "Education" is a ripoff that needs to be reeled in. $500 for a book is absurd, just to sell it back for $50.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by texas94z
Earning a degree and educating yourself isn't stupid, it's the amount of time and MONEY that you have to spend that's stupid.
No it isnt, however my response was in the context of Maverick's original statment that many people have degrees and no jobs.

To clarify, getting a degree that is in low demand, with no job prospects, or with salaries/wages that are less than someone straight out of high school with some experience and barely enough to pay your student loans, much less your "expected" standard of living, makes no sense whatsoever. Paying $40k - $50k and spending 4/5 yrs for it makes even less sense yet people do it anyway.

This is what I meant by "stupid". If someone doesn't care about the financial prospects, then they will disagree with my statement above which is ok too.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol @ all you frac guys. Oppurtunity sucks on that side!! Im cement side, and a supervisor. Company pickup, cell, laptop, etc. Although on a side note, ALL HES employees are now issues iPhones... Another halliburton perk. Also starging pay is around 14/hr but with 100/hrs a week, 60 of them
Sitting on your *** doing nothing, it adds up. In our district supervisor pay starts at 21.00 an hour and goes up to about 25, then you go into salaried jobs which because the hours we work, pay less.. Little heads up
Old 11-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Anyone wanting to get into the oilfield should wait until the beginning of the year. Transocean will be hiring about 1600 new employees over the next couple of years with a pretty good training program for people with the drive to learn the business that have a good work ethic. I've been working for Transocean for the last 13 years, 12 of them offshore on the rigs. I can tell you that there is no place else that I know of where you can make $150k and only work 6 months out of the year. If you want to get into the oilfield, off shore is the way to go.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by playtoy
Anyone wanting to get into the oilfield should wait until the beginning of the year. Transocean will be hiring about 1600 new employees over the next couple of years with a pretty good training program for people with the drive to learn the business that have a good work ethic. I've been working for Transocean for the last 13 years, 12 of them offshore on the rigs. I can tell you that there is no place else that I know of where you can make $150k and only work 6 months out of the year. If you want to get into the oilfield, off shore is the way to go.

QFT TransOcean from what I hear is a great company...
Old 11-11-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I've applied to a couple of places now so far and got my resume and references all together. Still looking for as many leads as I can. This thread has turned out better than I hoped, really really appreciate all of the feedback and advice you guys have given. As of today my life situation has taken a pretty shitty downward spiral, so I'm in full on oil industry job hunting mode, pretty much willing to take what I can get at this point ya know?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Halliburton in Alvarado. Frac hand, or cement, if you would prefer. BTW, cement IS the better gig(labor wise and pay wise) but you are much more at the mercy of jobs. I went frac b/c I knew that 98% of the time Id be home that morn. Cement side was 50/50. Now that was 5yrs ago. Cant guarantee you it is still that way now. Anyway, a Halliburton yard is 25miles South of you. You will be working within a few days.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 PM
AGH
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
As of today my life situation has taken a pretty shitty downward spiral, so I'm in full on oil industry job hunting mode, pretty much willing to take what I can get at this point ya know?
I don't know about Fracking, but I do know refineries and chem plants. If you are desperate to lay hands on some cash real quick there are several options down here on the gulf coast. One option is x-ray. They are always hiring. They start out low, like $12-$14 an hour, but they work 100 hours a week often. In the first quarter next year Lyondell Channelview has a big job and if you start calling or applying now you may could get on. That will be a pretty big job I hear. With the demand for so many people you should have no problem getting on as a pipe helper or something.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
Halliburton in Alvarado. Frac hand, or cement, if you would prefer. BTW, cement IS the better gig(labor wise and pay wise) but you are much more at the mercy of jobs. I went frac b/c I knew that 98% of the time Id be home that morn. Cement side was 50/50. Now that was 5yrs ago. Cant guarantee you it is still that way now. Anyway, a Halliburton yard is 25miles South of you. You will be working within a few days.
That was the last place I applied before making that last post lol. I think I did a pretty good job conveying that I was an intelligent young male ready for any kind of labor they need and I was willing to relocate, work overtime, etc etc. The place I applied for that was listed on their website was in Pampa, up in the panhandle though. Should I try to swing by their place in Alvarado and ask in person this week? I don't mind if I'm home or not, I really don't

I applied for Frac, but they did have a cement position open as well. Did I screw up lol?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Yes. Go by the Alv office. Tell security that you are there for an app. They will either give you one or let you in. I cant remember how it worked.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Got shot down, lol. Security have me a number to call, guy told me he loved my get up n' go attitude, but that it all comes down to if they want me, they'll call me

He listed a few other companies out here in this area to look at, but hours phone was cutting out and I didn't hear a single one

I'll be cruising around today looking where I can, trying to remain positive and encouraged
Old 11-12-2012, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Where are you located. Go to miswaco in liberty tx also next door is baker hughes both hiring
Old 11-12-2012, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Otherwise if your local to houston i can get you a few numbers to some roustabout company shitty work but could start asap.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

I don't know how much this will help you but if you don't mind moving and want a guaranteed job somewhere (as long as the boom lasts) move to Midland/Odessa. Housing prices are pretty crazy but if you get a good job it shouldn't matter. I can't think of a place down there that isn't hiring oil field hands. When I was there last weekend a guy offered me immediate work even if it was just for the weekend.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 AM
12 Second Club

Got shot down, lol. Security have me a number to call, guy told me he loved my get up n' go attitude, but that it all comes down to if they want me, they'll call me

He listed a few other companies out here in this area to look at, but hours phone was cutting out and I didn't hear a single one

I'll be cruising around today looking where I can, trying to remain positive and encouraged
Im sorry, man. Thats how I did it. Hate that you drove all that way for nothing. Here are some companies that may or may not be close to you and may or may not be hiring.
These cos are largly roustabout, but I think thats better work than fracking.
Renegade
Rogers
Vaquero
Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

That was the last place I applied before making that last post lol. I think I did a pretty good job conveying that I was an intelligent young male ready for any kind of labor they need and I was willing to relocate, work overtime, etc etc. The place I applied for that was listed on their website was in Pampa, up in the panhandle though. Should I try to swing by their place in Alvarado and ask in person this week? I don't mind if I'm home or not, I really don't

I applied for Frac, but they did have a cement position open as well. Did I screw up lol?

I work in Pampa, im a supervisor in the Cement department, Text me and I'll put in a good word with the boss man....

pm for my cell

OH and you deff should go Cement before you go frac.........way better oppturnitys to become a supervisor and make a name for yourself.... but the hours are a lot more unpredictable as compared to frac, and by unpredictable i dont mean less hours I mean, you work more hours.....
Old 11-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Launching!

I guess it all depends on what part of the oilfield you are in. Looking at some of the other responses in this thread I guess I'm doing pretty good, even related to other oilfield jobs. Then again, I got very lucky

I'll echo some things that have already been said. You don't have to have a degree to make a LOT of money in the oilfield, and you don't necessarily have to have a degree to get promoted into management either. Most of these companies out here are just a Rich Redneck Club..lol. It's all on the buddy system to get hired, and once you're in, if you show that you're smart and a hard, dependable worker, you can go very far.

Just a heads up, directional drilling is where the big money is at
Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't read the thread, so i apologize if this was already said (i know things similar to it were) but like you guys said, seems like education is a ripoff unless you do it right. I'd really like to go to school, and people ask me fairly often why I dont, why I'm in the field I'm in etc... really the only answer I have is... I'd rather make money while I can as opposed to spend money on school.

I guess somewhere down the line I'll go get a tech degree or something similar, but until then the money I'm making now is getting me by just fine. I don't do oil field work, but I would think some of the same principles apply. I guess it all depends on what you need to make a living for, whether it be for yourself, wife and kids, or whatever... and if you have the time and dedication (and funds) to go to school. All in all, I wouldn't take a student loan. I have friends that already owe 10k,20k, or even 30k+ and are still getting their education and will probably make less money than I do now.

Long story short, win the lottery and don't deal with the every day bullshit everyone else has to.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I too am in the oil field but im on the water transfer side of things. I dont do **** but watch movies all night and be on tech lol. Pay is low but at 180-200 hours every two weeks i bring in a decent amount of money, plus im single lol. In about five months ive made a litle over 30k, not bad really.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:42 AM
Launching!

I run the rov. Transferable skills and your not limited to the oil and gas industry.

Quick Reply: Yet another oil field thread